Tigerwood flooring colour.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys looking for a bit of advice/knowledge!
I have a customer looking to have her flooring stripped and refinished. It's tigerwood and original to the house. Trouble is that she wants it to resemble an oak colour. It's a deep red just now and I don't want to price it until I can be sure I can lighten it at least. I know there can be two species of this Has anyone ever done this before? Cheers.

I have no experience of Tigerwood so I don't know how or if it will bleach but assuming it does I think the only way it will bleach is with A+B bleach. I think the area will be too large to be able to bleach without it becoming streaky and or patchy not to mention all of the other health and safety hazards of working with those chemicals in a confined space. I think you are wise to give it a wide birth, I would too. Never forget once you take on a job with unknown unknowns you take ownership of the problem and all of the losses that can go with it.
When I was younger I used to get requests from Antique dealers to bleach Rio Rosewood, the only way I know of achieving it is to use Nitric acid and lots of heat!! Such a dangerous thing to do. It dawned on me one day (I'm a bit slow on the uptake) that I was doing this just so a dealer could make a few extra quid on a piece. Needless to say I no longer do this.

Yeah I really don't fancy going down that road plus I wouldn't be able to keep the grain so black which is a big feature.
All is not lost though as she has a sideboard needing repaired and polished!

Back