Thumping sound from new lathe... errr... help?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Naz, youre only 1 day away from the factory.
With me its completely different. i got the machines delivered here and accepted there would be no service calls. I had no problem with that because I have the skills and tools to do whatever I need to do.
I bought new bearings and belt because post from the UK is 3 weeks to me.

There seems to be a lot of people getting rather annoyed with Axy on my behalf :?

My only/main annoyance at the moment is that the delay in the belt means I won't be able to see if a new belt works until it's too late for a potential whole machine exchange this Friday (pretty much the only day I can be in for such a swap). I'm then away for a few days so there's nothing I could do anyway.

As for bargepoles - Axy asked if I'd have a go at replacing the belt on a machine we know has some issue. I suspect it'd be rather difficult for them to then refuse a return on those grounds (unless I'd taken an angle grinder to it in frustration, which I'm not planning on doing).

sunnybob":38ydgfaj said:
And yes, I have also had to change bearings on my axminster bandsaw wheel. Something that should not need to be done after a 1000 hours working, let alone 10.
I'm starting to realise that axminster is so good at customer service because they get an awful lot of practice.
Unfortunately that's the price we pay for Chinese* quality control. No QC = lower sale price = percentage chance you get a stinker.

* Actually I think this one may be Taiwanese.

sploo":1zxiregs said:
BTW I can't see how changing a belt is an unauthorised repair (especially as they've asked me to do it) - at some point you'd have to do it on a lathe anyway.

It shouldn't be Sploo but I wasn't talking about the belt, it was removing the spindle and changing bearings that bothered me, you said " Well, I got the spindle out. Rather more "persuading" required than I was happy with. The spindle pulley is pretty tight on the keyway, even with the pulley's grub screws removed",
Any marks or damage to the spindle or even fitting non original bearings would normally be "unauthorised" in any product warranty. repairs carried out within guarantee period normally MUST be done by authorised repairers in any case or the customer is breaching the conditions of the warranty.

Not my place to say but though I can fully understand your problems lifting and the inconvenience of deliveries, if it were me I'd be looking for replacement rather than the agravation of trying a DIY fix job. Surely someone local can put the lathe into a box and lift it in to your car!

The MD of Axminster is Ian Styles I believe, why don't you email him personally and see what happens. [email protected] ...... Take it from me, bypassing the little guys who don't have the will or authority sometimes to sort things quickly works every time, I've needed to do so on several occasions (not with Axminster I hasten to add) and attitudes change very quickly when the directions descend from the top downwards.

Here's a full list of AXI directors if you are interested. http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=direct ... l%20Centre

Bob

I don't believe there will be any problems getting a replacement machine if it's required as they've asked the customer if he would be happy replacing the belt.

It's a shame really as its a good lathe. I'd really be interested to see what the fault is but we may never know if it eventually goes back to Axminster.

Lons":1o7kckhq said:
It shouldn't be Sploo but I wasn't talking about the belt, it was removing the spindle and changing bearings that bothered me, you said " Well, I got the spindle out. Rather more "persuading" required than I was happy with. The spindle pulley is pretty tight on the keyway, even with the pulley's grub screws removed",
I should probably rephrase that: I'm not a machinist, so I'm unused to doing that sort of work. I've removed bandsaw wheels in the past, and taken tools apart, but it's not something I really enjoy doing.

Getting the spindle out required tapping it with a plastic faced hammer (though I also used a block of softwood to prevent damage to the handwheel end).

I've always got machines back together and working before; I just find it a bit stressful as I always worry I'm going to screw something up!

Any marks or damage to the spindle or even fitting non original bearings would normally be "unauthorised" in any product warranty. repairs carried out within guarantee period normally MUST be done by authorised repairers in any case or the customer is breaching the conditions of the warranty.
The bearings are a standard 6004 and 6005, rubber sealed, but look to be a budget brand. They pop out when you remove the spindle anyway. It's worth trying some premium bearings in case it is a bearing problem.

Not my place to say but though I can fully understand your problems lifting and the inconvenience of deliveries, if it were me I'd be looking for replacement rather than the agravation of trying a DIY fix job.
Had I known the faff that was going to ensue, I would have gone down that route, but given where I am now I might as well try the new belt... when it turns up. If I don't see it on Friday then I'll be asking for them to come and change the machine.

The MD of Axminster is Ian Styles I believe, why don't you email him personally and see what happens. [email protected] ...... Take it from me, bypassing the little guys who don't have the will or authority sometimes to sort things quickly works every time, I've needed to do so on several occasions (not with Axminster I hasten to add) and attitudes change very quickly when the directions descend from the top downwards.
Understood - but I tend to only go for the nuclear option once all other routes have been exhausted. Sure, things are not how I'd like them, but none of the Axy support guys have been difficult or obstructive, so I'll go to level 2 if and when level 1 doesn't work.

woodpig":1o7kckhq said:
I don't believe there will be any problems getting a replacement machine if it's required as they've asked the customer if he would be happy replacing the belt.

It's a shame really as its a good lathe. I'd really be interested to see what the fault is but we may never know if it eventually goes back to Axminster.
Me too. If it does go back I'd love to know. That said, it may well be something they'd just ship back to the factory (probably more expensive for them to spend man hours trying to diagnose it) - that's just the way of the world these days.

sploo":24p0jict said:
There seems to be a lot of people getting rather annoyed with Axy on my behalf :?.

I'm not sure I am as much annoyed with Axi as marvelling at your understanding of the whole episode. I think I want to nominate you for 'most patient and understanding customer in the face of adversity' award.

I run a retail shop and get the odd ars* who really moans if a 30p DVD doesn't write properly first time, and it is usually their fault.

I think I want some of whatever you take to keep you so calm :lol:

Phil

Sheptonphil":3qpxizi4 said:
I'm not sure I am as much annoyed with Axi as marvelling at your understanding of the whole episode. I think I want to nominate you for 'most patient and understanding customer in the face of adversity' award.

I run a retail shop and get the odd ars* who really moans if a 30p DVD doesn't write properly first time, and it is usually their fault.

I think I want some of whatever you take to keep you so calm :lol:

Phil
I look after a team of software engineers (read: cat herding). I deal with numerous other teams from various parts of the world. I have a young family.

A bit of hassle with a lathe is like a squeaky cup holder in the burning fireball of a car of my life :wink:

I was going to call Axy this morning (and request a machine replacement) as I hadn't yet seen notice of a replacement belt being shipped. Obviously instead I called Richard, who's arranging for an exchange of the machine.

He did note that a machine exchange should have been the first port of call - so just to be clear to readers here; I did agree to try a belt change when I first spoke with Axminster - it wasn't them trying to refuse a machine replacement.

The only hassle is that I'm away for a few days, so we had to book a later date for replacement, but cross fingers the new one will be OK.

One of the many nice things about the 1416 is that it has a larger than usual centre height for a small lathe. Let's hope someone runs up the replacement lathe to ensure it works ok before it gets shipped. :D

woodpig":3dkdnz3q said:
One of the many nice things about the 1416 is that it has a larger than usual centre height for a small lathe. Let's hope someone runs up the replacement lathe to ensure it works ok before it gets shipped. :D
That was one of the reasons I chose it over the Jet (as I want to do bowls). They did say they'd check the new one first.

Unfortunately I can't be around to accept it until next Friday, so it'll be a week before I can get it sorted.

Lathe #2 has been delivered this morning. Casting quality is a bit rougher, but if it works it's acceptable. Unfortunately it doesn't #-o

It's got essentially the same thump/vibration. Straight out the box, in the lowest ratio as delivered, up to 800rpm *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud*

It's not quite as pronounced as the first, and the main kick on this one oddly seems to be about every 3 belt revolutions - but there's other noise/movement too.

The noise is definitely being amplified by my wooden bench top, but you only have to put your hand under the bottom of the motor to feel it kicking.

I've phoned Axy again (the original is due to be collected this afternoon) and the best we can do is to get that one back and see if they can work out what's wrong with it.

Not the best introduction to turning :(

Not the best introduction to axminster you mean.

The next phone call should be the one that offers you a free upgrade and an engineer on site to accept delivery and check it over.

sunnybob":3dhtoaqs said:
Not the best introduction to axminster you mean.

The next phone call should be the one that offers you a free upgrade and an engineer on site to accept delivery and check it over.
Well, I have used them a fair bit over the years, without any real problems (and customer service has always been very good).

Unfortunately I've spotted more problems with this new machine. One is the same as the previous unit - which is that when the belt is on the middle of the pulleys (middle ratio) the bottom of the banjo will hit the top of the rear of the motor if you try to slide it (the banjo) along the bed. It's a good 2mm overlap, so the only way to avoid it is to put significant downward pressure on the motor when tensioning the belt - more than I believe is sensible for that type/size of belt.

I could be wrong on the tension issue, and maybe it is "right", but you really do have to lean on the lever that's attached to the motor.

Additionally, I've spotted that the headstock and tailstock don't even line up. I've loosened and adjusted the headstock, but there's not enough movement to get closer than about ~1mm out of alignment. Interestingly, the thumping sound is slightly reduced as a result of that change, but is still present.

I've written an email rather than phoning (detailing the current and historic issues) as I think it needs putting on record at this stage.

As for an upgrade; I think the next model up is the AT1628VS, which I suspect would be unlikely to come for free (seeing as it's nearly twice the price). TBH I'd consider a heavily discounted upgrade as I'm losing faith in the 1416VS, but in reality I don't actually have the space for one (even though it'd be nice). No guarantee that the quality control on that one is better of course though as they could be made in the same factory.

You've been very unlucky. Mine runs like a sewing machine and there are lots of others out there that run fine. I'm really intrigued now to know where the noise is coming from. I'm also wondering about the "drum" effect of your bench?! :wink: :D

Still, it was nice of them to make sure the second one was perfect before sending it. :roll:

Customer service at its very British. 8)

Back