Thumbturn both sides of door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
We've just moved house, and now have a rather tall 2 year old grandson living with us. He and his sister and mum live in a separate annex, but there is an adjoining door that we would like to be childproof, but controllable from either side.
I was looking for something like a security bolt with a thumbturn on both sides, but it doesn't seem to be a thing. The door has black iron lever handles, that I'd rather not change.
Any suggestions welcome...

You need a deadlock for a Euro cylinder and a double thumb turn Euro cylinder. Put a new hole in the door somewhere near the top where the little one won’t reach and install the lock.

Unless your after something to retrofit to your existing handle which I can’t really suggest anything without a photograph of the handle.

MikeG.":9see4a23 said:
I'd look at rack bolts. They're generally seen with a security key as a secondary lock , but they are available with permanent knobs, and in black to match your existing.
That's what I was searching for, Mike. Maybe I used the wrong search terms, but I didn't come up with anything. I'll try "rack bolt".

If possible move the handles to opposite sides of the door. This would mean lifting to open the latch, not as easy as stretching upwards and hanging on the handle. Another possibilty, though probably not
acceptable, would be to change the handles to ceramic knobs. These would require a stronger grip and a twisting action of course. Again not easy for a young 'un.
HTH, xy.

Both good ideas, but the handles would foul the door frame if reversed, and ceramic knobs would not really fit with the oak and black iron vibe of out kitchen...
If I could find some black iron round knobs that would blend in, that might work.

Sorry, I was not clear enough. Take the handles off and put them on the other side of the door, they would need to be mounted upside down. This of course will not work if the plate includes a keyhole.
xy.

If you're thinking of rack bolts with knobs then why not just buy a matching knob set to your original and fit a standard door latch higher up the door.
It would mean turning both existing and new handles at the same time to open which might be a pain but certainly would defeat a toddler for a few years.

You could also if using a rack bolt just fit as normal but drill right though the door so the keys which would need to be hung on a hook can be used from both sides.

That would be quite neat but you would possibly have to buy 2 or get and additional key. Cheap option though

MikeG.":26mgzk1h said:
John Brown":26mgzk1h said:
........If I could find some black iron round knobs that would blend in, that might work.

Did you see my edit, John?
No, Mike. I hadn't seen your edit.
I have now, and have just emailed them to double check compatibility.
Thanks. That looks like exactly what I'm after, and won't jar with the existing hardware.

John

John Brown":8f972pkx said:
We've just moved house, and now have a rather tall 2 year old grandson living with us...... there is an adjoining door that we would like to be childproof, but controllable from either side.

I had a similar problem, Would suggest putting the child up for adoption. Simples!

For the sake of anyone else who might be interested, I asked twice for confirmation from Ironmongery direct, but when the item was delivered today, it's just a standard rack bolt, knob on one side only, and even if I got two the spindle is way too short to pass through the door.
Back to square zero...

Latest posts

Back