Thumbs up Axminster - Bog Off Rutlands :-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitBull

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

As some of you may know from perusing the "other" site, I was recently in the market for a workshop air filtration system, and the chosen model was the Axminster (re-badged Jet) AFS1000B.

When I originally tried to order this from Axminster they told me they no longer stocked it and tried to fob me off with a lesser Axminster model - I declined and decided to find the real Jet model elsewhere (albeit at probably higher cost).

I was then left looking at ordering from Rutlands (which I was utterly loath to do due to my "three strikes and out" policy - they screwed up all three of my previous orders so I vowed never to use them again) or somebody that I'd never used before (DB Keighley were suggested to me, but they only take cheques and at the time I didn't want to do that from Switzerland). I couldn't find any other suppliers at the time.

Roll on 6 weeks of indecision and prevarication...

Whilst online in Switzerland yesterday morning ordering the LN Independence Carcase and Dovetail Saws from Axminster, I happened to check their air filtration section again and blow me - they were showing the Jet system I originally wanted rather than their re-badged Axminster version. I called them up to check this was correct (which it was) and placed the entire order.

Having flown back to blighty last night, at 1:30 this afternoon a TNT delivery van turns up with two boxes containing my entire order from Axminster !!!

That is probably the quickest delivery I've *ever* had from them (it's usually 2-3 working days) so a big thumbs up the big Ax :)

And as for Rutlands - go swivel :)

Ah, good news indeed. Now they just need to take it to Lee Valley level (who'd have probably emailed you to let you know they stocked it again). :roll:

Now is this just a blatant excuse for a drive-by on the saws, or shall I move this to General Woodworking? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

oh yes - I guess it could have been considered a gentle drive-by :)

I thought about the Pax, Dorchester etc ranges, but everything I read seemed to point to the LNs are being far superior, and I do like the open handles because I do have largish hands.

Oh well in that case, in a spirit of corrupting the Normites, I'll move it then. :twisted:

You didn't consider the Adrias then? </unhelpful comment after order has been placed>

Cheers, Alf

Wow! How spooky is that: I was just skimming this post, and wondering when the stuff I ordered at '1520' yesterday would arrive.. (I know it's 1520, 'cos I just checked their e-mail confirmation). Envious, because my Axminster experience has been the 2 days to a week syndrome.

I look up, and there outside is a delivery van, with my stuff. Ordered 3 pm, with me at 4 30 pm the next day.

If Axminster maintain this, they really will be moving to the 'why bother anywhere else if they stock it' section of my suppliers list...

Devonwoody,

Having completely worked my buttocks off for the 13 months prior to the move to CH - such that I had no time or energy to do *any* WW at all - SWMBO is positively encouraging me to buy the tools I need (want ?) because she has a *long* list of projects for me (not sure if that needs a :) or a :-( !!!

I think the major upgrades on the hand tool front are now complete (new LN saws and LV planes) - think I'm okay for most other things.

On the tailed front I'll probably want to get a better planer/thicknesser (or more likely, separate planer and thicknesser) early next year, but I'll have to see what's available locally - would be nice to pick up some cheapish 2nd hand Felder gear :)

First task will be to setup the workshop and then finish the workbench (somewhat cruelly described by AfterGlow as an oil rig) that I started well over a year ago :)

I think the Royal Mail must be on Axminster's side, too. I ordered some items at around 2.30 pm on Friday and they arrived at 9am Saturday! Why don't cheques arrive that fast?

Well, good old Rutlands have struck again! What a bunch of muppets that company is!! I went to purchase a Festool sander from them the begining of last month and in the end cancelled about 5 days later and bought it from somewhere local instead. I've just got my credit card receipt in this morning and bless there cotton socks they've charged me the £250 for the tool which I cancelled over a month ago!! So, steam coming out of my ears, I phoned up this morning only to be told that they have changed over computer systems and its going to be difficult to sort out!! They also can't really do much until Monday and will phone me back when they have sorted something out.........Difficult....I'll give them bloody flaming difficult!! What a bunch of......ooohhh.....god I'm mad!"?!

Nissed of....

SimonA

Simon,
Commiserations-at least it should be clear for everyone now.
STAY CLEAR OF BLINKING RUTLANDS!

Thats all folks,
Philly :roll:

Si,

That stinks, mate. :( I have to agree with Philly; it's just not worth the trouble to deal with them. Too ruddy keen on taking money they're simply not entitled to. :evil:

Cheers, Alf

That is outrageous Simon - I am sure your credit card company can take action on Rutlands .. in any event, they flaming well should.
John

Simon,
I would use the card company. Just tell them that they should reverse the charge, I think you will find they do so with no argument.

Simon
The same thing happened to me a while back. I just called the card company and they immediately deferred the payment to the following month. This would allow for the firm who had made the "mistake" to put things right with a credit note etc. If this had failed the card company would have taken any necessary action. I thought this was a sensible solution. I didn't have to pay and the firm was given a month to sort things before the card company had to start asking for proof that what I said was actually true.

SF

Well, Rutlands have been back on the phone first thing this morning and the charge has been taken off my card and they even said sorry!! I'm gobsmacked to say the least....I thought I was going have to phone up and remind them and then give them another bollocking!

SimonA
A happy camper again!

Nice one Simon :D Perhaps they've read your posts on UKW. If only they'd change their policy. I'd happily shop with them (great site, product range etc.) if only they'd:

1. Not charge your card before despatch
2. Be abit more honest about stock availability (or perhaps just "be abit more honest")

In general I think the online machine tool retailers could learn something from the Dabs.com's of this world (although I expect the lead times on PC components are that much shorter, and the turnover that much greater to merit online stock level reporting etc.).

Cheers,
Martin

Martin I am simply impressed with Dabs, very efficient although the e-mails are nice they can clog up your inbox if you place a few orders, but it is good to know what and where your orders/goods are.

The last order I placed with Rutlands was here upon the day I requested it, I could not fault it. But the other orders I have placed with them have been poorly handled :roll: and they seem to deserve the reputation they are getting.

Bean

Bean - absolutely - I've always been nothing but impressed with the service given by Dabs - they keep you informed and the service is usually very quick. The only thing i could fault them on sometimes is price, but that could be said for almost any retailer.

Don't get me wrong - I've also had good service from Rutlands in the past, but it's the cases where they've taken the order, don't have stock (or some other excuse that means they can't ship), but take the money in double quick time that riles me.

Martin

Wow - hung this one up under the ceiling last night - somehow I hadn't anticipated that a big heavy box was going to be hard work to hang on four strings of chain whilst balancing on a small stool :)

Got there in the end though. Neat bit of kit and not as noisy as I thought it would be. Won't be able to test it "in anger" so to speak until next week though.

--- watch woodworking forums to see who's bitching and whining about suppliers,their equipment, delivery dates, wrongly charged credit cards, etc.

And from that, how many take note and modify their approach to sales and customer problems?

I'm aware of Rob Lee of Lee Valley getting around more than one forum and dealing with such problems 'face-to-face' so to speak.

A representative of Freud gets into a couple of US based forums and does a pretty good job dealing with customer relations problems and giving technical advice on their products.

Terry Smart-- I think that's the name, of Chestnut products-- polishes, et al gets around a bit too and tries to help where he can.

Rutlands in this thread have pretty much got their backside burnt. I've never purchased anything from them, but I have dealt with Axminster several times, sometimes to the tune of several thousands of pounds worth.

I just wonder if someone from Rutlands is looking in and going, "Oooh, Ouch. Not really fair."? Slainte.

Back