Through neck larch guitar project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks

I am weighing up another guitar project.

This one will by a six string, wrap around bridge, p90s, solid body.

I like to recycle wood where possible. My body will be mahogany, about 1 ¼” thick with a cap, probably carved.

I have mahogany which I can use for the neck, but want to try something unusual.

I have been given some beautiful book matched quarter sawn larch planks. I am planning to use them for the “drop top”.

Then I had an idea to make this a through neck, using the quarter sawn larch for the neck. It is very stable, very strong and with a two way adjustable truss rod might make a nice neck. Obviously this is not a standard neck wood, and probably for good reason.

But is there a valid reason to run a mile?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Steve

Larch is a quite resinous softwood. Pretty strong as softwood goes, but personally I would not use it for a guitar neck which is under continuous and uneven tension from six steel strings. You will be fitting a truss rod, but I would not bank on stability along the scale or in twist. Worth a try if it is just for you, not for sale.

the reason is dents, even hard softwood is going to get dents in it, I have seen pine and softwood bodies but not as necks, and as a guitarist I would not feel confident it would hold up well, especially to touring and live work.

Everything you say makes sense. Even for personal use only, I do want to waste the time and materials without being reasonably happy that it will work.

I am now starting to question whether it will be a poor choice for the top on the body as well. It has to take the bridge studs without the stud holes becoming oval. Maybe a strat style hard tail bridge would be a better bet.

Thanks for you wisdom.

Yep. Lifelong guitarist and made a lot too. It all depends on how well you look after your guitars. Stage work gives them a hard life. There is a reason why top end manufacturers use hardwoods for necks and tops.

Latest posts

Back