Through dovetail box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlebas

Burbling Pixie
Reaction score
Well, here are my first attempts at through dovetails.

I started with this

Wood for Box - Compressed.jpg

And ended up with this

Box 1 - Compressed.jpg

Box 2 - Compressed.jpg

Box 3 - Compressed.jpg

Box 4 - Compressed.jpg

The box inside rests on two small strips of wood, making a small secret compartment. It’s a vacuum type fit, and at the moment you can only get it out by putting your fingers against opposing internal sides to get a grip and pulling smoothly. Keeps it secret I suppose, but I was wondering about a better mechanism. Maybe a discreet hole underneath that you could use to poke a stick through? Some sort of lever?

I still have my same risible tool kit, but boosted by the addition of a plane (the Stanley SB3 doesn’t count, even if it has been sitting in the garage for years). A no name Stanley no 4 knock off bought by my father in Sheffield in the 80s since you ask. It’s an improvement, let’s say. Mind you the SB3 has its uses.

Some observations

Well, I wouldn’t have made the box out of wood this thick if I knew at the outset that I was going to finish it. It was only when the first couple of dovetails came out tolerably (British quality control at its Friday afternoon best on that day) that I thought I might as well complete something.

And don’t blame me for the mismatched strips in the basic plank, or the end to end pointy finger jointy things.

Custard’s guide on lining boxes is excellent. And the smell of Copydex. Not quite a madeleine moment, but it is years since I have smelled that. I used a fabric that has a suede like nap, which I got from Remnant Kings (minor Scottish chain) for a couple of pounds for about a metre. Guess what any future projects will be lined with.

Cutting the bevels in the base/ lid was surprisingly easy, as long as you start with the cross grain, and make the corners line up.

Oh yeah. And this.

Box 5 mistake - Compressed.jpg

It may come in useful. Sometime. I suppose.

Attachments

• Wood for Box - Compressed.jpg
    Wood for Box - Compressed.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 725
  • Box 1 - Compressed.jpg
    Box 1 - Compressed.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 766
  • Box 2 - Compressed.jpg
    Box 2 - Compressed.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Box 3 - Compressed.jpg
    Box 3 - Compressed.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Box 4 - Compressed.jpg
    Box 4 - Compressed.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • Box 5 mistake - Compressed.jpg
    Box 5 mistake - Compressed.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 743
No, nothing as advanced as that. 2 coats of boiled linseed oil, and 2 coats of paste wax, well rubbed off. We are but simple folk round here. Actually it feels quite nice to the touch, but I'm not sure how durable it would be on something regularly handled.

You have inspired me to open up my tool box after a couple of years (2nd retirement), now in my 80's and I have got my hand tools and I like your box.

devonwoody":3j0nwd5d said:
You have inspired me to open up my tool box after a couple of years (2nd retirement), now in my 80's and I have got my hand tools and I like your box.

Well, I don’t think I’ve ever inspired anyone before. Good for you, do go for it. And, for what it is worth I’ve only retired once, so you beat me there.

That looks lovely - you've got a really nice finish on it too that shows the grain off to real effect!

Latest posts

Back