Thrills on Wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd show a relatively easy ans cheap method of moving things around the workshop, admottedly you have to have a little bit of welding skill to do this, luckily i have a neighbour who does this for me on a barettering system wood for metal.

The wheels are 5" standard 125 kg weight each and the machine is 275 kg, iot is possible to move the whole thing with onw hand.

What do you think?

The guy in the pic is the metal working half of the duo.

June-05-020.jpg

June-05-022.jpg

June-05-021.jpg

ooh waka are you going to paint it woodford grey just like your brand new saw ,i must make one of them to replace the square of ply that i use .

Newbie_Neil":2dwbop9y said:
Looks good and the saw's not bad either. :wink:

Neil :shock: ! Prolonged absence from the sheep of home gets to all Welshmen in the end.

Waka - that looks really useful.

Gill

proper bit o fabrication there Waka... just one wee concern about the castors tho... brakes..???

Frank":2s9z6tkk said:
ooh waka are you going to paint it woodford grey just like your brand new saw

Frank, hadn't really thought about the colour, but now you mention it.

Chris":2s9z6tkk said:
How dod you get the saw onto the base?

I had to completely remove the top of the saw, two of us still couldn't lift it, so it was a matter of tipping and sliding, it did go on relatively easy. One of the things I noticed when I removed the top was that a coule of corners had been shimmed, this was obviously done in the factory to ensure a level top. Si if anyone else thinks of taking the top off, watch out for the shims.

Midnight":2s9z6tkk said:
just one wee concern about the castors tho... brakes..???

Yes the castors are of the brake type, I wasn't to sure how this was going to turn out from a stability standpoint, but I think the spread of the legs helps it, when they are all locked there is hardly any movement at all.

Mind you I've not had the machine running yet, I guess that is going to be the test.

Very nice job. Will show my son who does my welding.
He made a base on castors for the T P, unfortunately no brakes.
Need one for the saw.

What was the cost of the castors?

Phil :D :D :D :D

Jaco":390eewz5 said:
What was the cost of the castors?

Jaco, not too expensive I think they are about £7/8 pounds from Screwfix, these are the ones that take a weight og 125kg.

Whatever you do don't look at the one's from Axminster, they are a lot cheaper but the breaking mechanism is nowhere as good, I made this mistae and will have to replace them on one of my machines.

I think the total angle iron cost was about £10.

Since these pic's were taken we have put some additional bracing in because we found that it flexed a little, these run form the wheel to the centre at an angle of 45 dg.

Was wondering about flexing as the angle iron has to take some weight.
Will look locally for wheels, or just go and nick some as all the New SA's do.
Height is also important so one needs to keep quite a low profile??
:D

Waka":2ts4w2d5 said:
[ when they are all locked there is hardly any movement at all.

Mind you I've not had the machine running yet, I guess that is going to be the test.

Any reason why you had to have 4 castors? My Lurem just has two, non-steerable, at one end, and then a lug on the opposite end so that I can insert a lever with a single steerable castor on it, to raise the whole thing just clear of the floor, and manoeuver it around. Seems to work pretty effectively, and it doesn't move a thou once it's settled into place. Mind, I guess your super saw may be a couple of hundredweight heavier!!

DM":2xx77gjh said:
Any reason why you had to have 4 castors? My Lurem just has two, non-steerable, at one end, and then a lug on the opposite end so that I can insert a lever with a single steerable castor on it, to raise the whole thing just clear of the floor, and manoeuver it around.

DickM, my shop is not as big as I'd like and I needed the machine to be manoeverable in all directions depending on what position I am going to use it in. I did contemplate the method you have but discounted this for the reason above

Latest posts

Back