Three Projects Finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G S Haydon

Established Member
Reaction score
I was really luck to get some workshop time this weekend just gone and got three projects all finished up. Feels really good to of got them done and have the workspace nice and organised.

First one is a "Six Board Chest" that I made based on a design from the 18th Century I saw on Pinterest.

The other was applying paint to the shaker style bench I made a while back.

The last was an oak table made in a "Craftsman" style. It allowed we to use up lots of odds and ends of oak. The only downside was I had to use a stain to bring the colour together, however it did make it feel a touch more "authentic". I protected it with water based polyurethane . I've been wary of water based finishes but they did allow me to finish things very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUJdJW8AXVU

Thanks mick, I need to improve my sound etc but hope to upgrade soon. You are very kind to put up with the quality :)

out of interest, what camera are you using? The quality looks good, especially closeup. Do you just use the microphone on the camera? or a remote one that you wear?

Hi Mick, I use a Samsung Galaxy S5. It'll do 1080 so in broad terms it's ok. Sound is with phone mic but there are some good value options I can add to the phone to help. I looked into external mic with the phone but I couldn't find much. I'm reluctant to invest to much cash in the process as it's just a bit of fun. I know Samsung have a new phone out and it might be as well to wait until my contract is up and try out the new phone.

I like the design of the table/desk, good work certainly. I'm very on the fence with the rays in oak, sometimes they really set a piece off - other times not at all, is it just me??

Like the shape of the feet on the chest, make's a nice change from all the others you see.

Also! it's interesting you use the galaxy for your videos, might have a go myself.

Thanks No Skills, I think we follow each other on instagram now?

The galaxy works well, I use windows movie maker to edit the stuff (hollywood baby) but I would like to get better at it. The rays can be nice on oak but can lead to you chasing your tail if you let them.

Thanks for watching the vid!

I can't believe I'm saying this (as an ex TV sound man), but you might try using a Bluetooth headset for the mic, if the phone will permit that whilst you're using it as a video camera. If you don't want it visible on your ear, you might hang or safety-pin it over the neck of your T-shirt. It *should* give you consistency, and a lot more level and clarity, but it might be narrow bandwidth (telephone quality). You won't really know unless you experiment.

The lighting isn't bad, certainly not as bad as you think, but it would be improved by one 'key' light coming from over the right shoulder of the camera, just to add a small bit of shadow defininition to you and the pieces. It doesn't need to be terribly bright, but it does need to match the lighting you are already using (to avoid an unnatural colour cast). A 150W halogen worklamp would probably do it (get it up reasonably high - say about 8ft, 18" or so behind the camera if you can, and maybe 24-36" to its right).

If the colour match doesn't look quite right you can get colour-correcting gels. See http://www.rosco.com/filters/cinegel.cfm?CategoryID=1&menuReturn=film. You want the filter that matches your main lighting source (probably fluorescents or daylight). Note that it will knock back the light output substantially, so you might need a 300W halogen. Filter material is designed to be heat-proof, but even so, bend it into an arc away from the lamp - don't fit it right up close. See also their "E-Colour" range #200-#203 - may be a lot cheaper than the proper cine stuff but won't do correction to fluorescent. #241 - #249 are for fluorescents, but it looks like a minefield.

You had a jump cut on the first closeup of the chest. When doing an edit like that, err on the side of taking out time (say a missing 1/2 sec.). Don't attempt a perfect overlap, as MPEG won't let you edit with frame accuracy (even if it looks like that).

That said, those are three really nice pieces, and an interesting and attractive nice. I especially like the oak table, and I think the stain brings it all together really well.

I'd be proud to own any of those, and even more so if I'd made them myself.

E.

PS: not nit-picking, just trying to be helpful.

PPS: if you put a bluetooth headset on your T-shirt, you might need to fiddle about with it so it doesn't rustle. And you might need a bit of gaffer tape over the earpiece itself, to stop echo (probably unnecessary).

Thanks Eric The Viking, REALLY good tips and I'll see if I can make that work!

Thanks Paul & DTR :)

I like it generally, like the design and colour/finish, but the medullary rays make so much difference to the piece, for me at least. Just a shows how wood selection makes a difference. I notice you have one 'unlike' on the video ?!! Do you get to see who it is? I often see this on good videos and wonder who the hell didn't like it.

Agreed G, the rays are badass but hard to find enough in the scrap bin :). On the dislikes it's actually a good thing within reason, a few dislikes is healthy and I think might help the rankings as at least people are interacting with it. Firstly anyone who uploads videos etc is open to critics and that's good. As long as a post is not abusive it's perfectly normal to have alternative views and things we don't like and even to discuss them. I've not needed to delete any comments apart from spam. The dislike could be for anything, the ratio I get tells my videos are ok, once the dislikes are into double figures on a video with my view count you know there is something to work on (some of my vids suffer that). I don't know who dislikes but it's fine by me.

Back