three more pens plus two more

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftyhermes

Established Member
Reaction score
just done some more pens and experimented using up the bits that are left when cutting to the length of the tubes. The top one has 3 pieces glued together along with a piece of diagonally cut walnut, the middle one is different pieces of corian and the bottom pen is made from broom. I made the walnut bulbous to see if it was more comfortable than being straight and the family like it better but I prefer the feel of a straight pen.

pens21.jpg

Nice work :D
Must admit,I prefer the straight-style pens as well - the top one has some great colour,like the idea with the corian,but the bottom one in broom comes out as personal favourite - it just "looks right" 8)

Andrew

What type of chisels do you use for the second pen
different pieces of corian
Have some resin balnks but would not like to use the wood turning
chisels, have some hardened steel gouges I could modify..
All three are stylish and look ergonomic to use..

thanks guys, straight pens are my preference but I gave the fat one a go,
hod&bodge I used a 1/2 inch carbon steel skew that came with the DML24 lathe which i have to admit is my favourite most used tool. I use to turn all my pens and bobbins.

loftyhermes":zx6ybevb said:
thanks guys, straight pens are my preference but I gave the fat one a go,
hod&bodge I used a 1/2 inch carbon steel skew that came with the DML24 lathe which i have to admit is my favourite most used tool. I use to turn all my pens and bobbins.

1/2 inch carbon steel skew
Thanks, I have a small set of carbon steel chisels but still looks as if the
resin blanks would just keep blunting them.. Well never know till I try..

Two more I've finished, the corian one has a piece of broom that was left from the broom pen and also a piece of the wood left from the golf club pen I made. I can't remember what the wood is for the other pen.

hod&bodge yes the tools do need a quick rub on the grinder more often when turning corian but no more than if turning a very hard wood.

morepens1.jpg

Very nice. I'm a fan of the bulbous type but have not used them in any anger.

I must get around to turning these massur blanks that Neil sent me. Tho the bushings that Vince sent me don't fit my mandrel :?

wizer":1i2ww7vw said:
Very nice. I'm a fan of the bulbous type but have not used them in any anger.

My youngest grandson has put his name on the "fat" one, I do remember at school we had bulbous pens which we used to dip into the inkwells and I did like using them but I think I prefer the striaght ones now because of using straight Biros for such a long time i've got used them, maybe if I used a bulbous one I would prefer it, who knows?

Back