Threading wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzy Madd

Reaction score
Hi,

Despite numerous year of cabinet making I'm struggling with health issues which seriously effect my memory but not my desire to continue making things.

Along this line I'm wanting to make a moron style vice. To do this I would love to use wooded threads. But I'm unable to recall the best wood to use. Also,there is the the problem of availability. I have a choice of :
Ash
Beech
Cherry
Iroko
Oak
Redwood pine
Ramon
Sapele
Tulipwood
Sycamore
Walnut
And
Yellow pine

I'm wanting to use the thread cutter I have which is 1" but I'm open to any other suggestions of sources of better woods.

For the nuts I do have a small supply of lignum vitae but again any other suggestions welcome.

My Maine issue is not being able any longer to sort out in my mind what each wood properties are best so no matter what your preferences please say as I'm totally stymied. And no blame will be attributed to your advice. Rather I will be exceedingly grateful. As this simple problem is stopping the whole project.

Thanks

Izz Madd

Izzy Madd":2amtwmbn said:
I'm wanting to make a moron style vice.

I knew straight away that I could help... but now I'm thinking you mean Moxon? 8)

In my limited experience of experimenting with threading wood, you need something close grained and tough.
From your list, I'd choose beech for the rods. Historically, it was used for threaded tools. It's tough but not brittle.
For the nuts, beech or pretty well any of the hardwoods.

It's really important to get your blank accurately cylindrical and at the right size. Do you have a lathe or a rounder? Or an electric router jigged to a hole in a block of wood?

NazNomad":339rycfy said:
Izzy Madd":339rycfy said:
I'm wanting to make a moron style vice.

I knew straight away that I could help... but now I'm thinking you mean Moxon? 8)

Your right it should be moxon I think the moron is me but I'll just blame spellchecker and my dyslexia :D

AndyT":1otuopn4 said:
In my limited experience of experimenting with threading wood, you need something close grained and tough.
From your list, I'd choose beech for the rods. Historically, it was used for threaded tools. It's tough but not brittle.
For the nuts, beech or pretty well any of the hardwoods.

It's really important to get your blank accurately cylindrical and at the right size. Do you have a lathe or a rounder? Or an electric router jigged to a hole in a block of wood?

I have a lathe but I've got a supplier of hardwood dowel that's high quality and accurate hence the list.

Thanks for the advice I was unsure which to choose based on the characteristics of the different woods. Hence me waving the white flag and admitting defeat. Plus it means I can get help from people like yourself who have first hand experiences.

Back