Threaded inserts - namely most used size/s?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accipiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've searched for threaded inserts in the archives but not found anything regarding the most common sizes used. Most are on asking where to obtain and those threads are so old (2009 etc.,) the links given go to some 404 notices - page not found - although others are active for a couple of suppliers.

I've been tempted to give these a go, having seen them used for various things (jigs and such) in YouTube videos, but very little is mentioned about the sizes - *and types* - usually - most commonly - used. Threaded ones, pronged ones...

Doing a Google search and a visit to Amazon comes up with lots of sizes (mixed lots) or individual sizes at various prices so I'm a bit apprehensive about making a purchase and getting, for example, a box with mixed sizes from M4 to M8... or maybe even M10?!, and not using some or most of them.

I'd be grateful to those members that have and do use them if they'd mind sharing the information regarding the sizes they've found to be most useful 😊

TIA

I use the M6 ones sometimes. They are what is in the festool mft tops. Also they are supplied in sash window restrictors, which I have fitted thousands of.
The hex drive ones are best.

One tip for these is to make sure you use a sharp drill, Brad point are best as they leave a flatter bottom of the hole. Always do a test one in the same wood if you can, sometimes they will be very tight in a hardwood, so you may have to go up half a mm to get them to go in.
Also you can use a countersink to aid them going in nicely.

I cut off a long allen key years ago and use it in a drill when installing loads of them.

Ollie

I have them at different sizes but to be honest the m6 size are the ones that generally get used, depends what you are using them for & what you are going to use with them. I use them with things like star knobs so I don't want to be buying loads of different sizes

I use the M6 ones sometimes. They are what is in the festool mft tops. Also they are supplied in sash window restrictors, which I have fitted thousands of.
The hex drive ones are best.

One tip for these is to make sure you use a sharp drill, Brad point are best as they leave a flatter bottom of the hole. Always do a test one in the same wood if you can, sometimes they will be very tight in a hardwood, so you may have to go up half a mm to get them to go in.
Also you can use a countersink to aid them going in nicely.

I cut off a long allen key years ago and use it in a drill when installing loads of them.

Ollie

Thanks @Ollie78 - again useful information and your tip noted ☺

I have m6 and m8. I now dont like using them in hardwood, sometimes they crack during install, so ive done a few things, like a mm bigger hole, which was better and inserting a short bolt and using that to wind it in worked well ( use a washer to seperate otherwise you'll struggle to get the bolt out..... dont ask me how i know ) and on occasion using the above techniques, the little fins that bite inot the wood have snapped off so it wont go in further and doesnt want to come out either!!! That was oak. If the fixing goes through the timber i now use cap nuts where possible

I have them at different sizes but to be honest the m6 size are the ones that generally get used, depends what you are using them for & what you are going to use with them. I use them with things like star knobs so I don't want to be buying loads of different sizes

Thanks @martin.pearson - again, useful information. Seems so far that M6 is showing as "most used".

In all honesty I've yet to decide what I'll use them on but they do appear to be very useful in construction of jigs to turn some hand power tools in to bench tools.... belt sander, electric plane etc., etc. From the YT videos it's difficult to ascertain sizes used.

Star knobs is another thing I'd like information on... 👍

I have m6 and m8. I now dont like using them in hardwood, sometimes they crack during install, so ive done a few things, like a mm bigger hole, which was better and inserting a short bolt and using that to wind it in worked well ( use a washer to seperate otherwise you'll struggle to get the bolt out..... dont ask me how i know ) and on occasion using the above techniques, the little fins that bite inot the wood have snapped off so it wont go in further and doesnt want to come out either!!! That was oak. If the fixing goes through the timber i now use cap nuts where possible

Thank @baldkev - also appreciate the information you give. You mention "cap nuts"??? That's a new one on me. Guess I've been away from woodworking technology for too long and such a lot has changed ☺

I have only used them a few times and like you was dubious about buying a mixed box and so it went on my Fathers day/Christmas-Birthday etc list and one did indeed turn up on my Birthday around 6 or7 years ago . They are a great solution where you only need a small number of a certain size , Believe it or not the only size I have needed more of was M10 :)

My opening post has come about now because of the router table insert post I made previously and the insert only having two counter sunk fixing screws/bolts and no nuts. Made me wonder if they are meant to be used with an insert...

I have only used them a few times and like you was dubious about buying a mixed box and so it went on my Fathers day/Christmas-Birthday etc list and one did indeed turn up... . They are a great solution where you only need a small number of a certain size , Believe it or not the only size I have needed more of was M10 :)

👍 Appreciated @MARK.B. laughed out with you saying the M10... 😀

As to "birthday/father's day/Christmas lists"... don't work in my family. Lost count of what I've put down and then what I've received 😂 I now just write "Money, money, money please - so I can put it to what I *need*" - seems to have worked better 😉

Cap nuts, like the bed furniture ones.....
Maybe captive?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211120-194524_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211120-194524_Chrome.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 20
Try searching Screwfix for Insert Nuts Type D. That should reveal a couple of results of packs of 50 M6 inserts for less than a fiver. Couldn't see anything other than M6 though. Toolstation may have similar.
Have fun
Martin

Try searching Screwfix for Insert Nuts Type D. That should reveal a couple of results of packs of 50 M6 inserts for less than a fiver. Couldn't see anything other than M6 though. Toolstation may have similar.
Have fun
Martin

Mmm - as always with searches comes down to "terminology"... I'd not have thought to use insert 'nuts' as the search words! Thanks Martin @MorrisWoodman12 👍

Did a search with that and Screwfix comes up with a couple, as you say, M6 13mm or 20mm, but Toolstaion only comes up with "pronged Tee nuts".

Latest posts

Back