Thread to Taper Adapter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a Clarke International not Aldi but I agree it’s the same beast. There is no play in the tail stock thread and the point lines up exactly with the headstock point when brought up to it. I agree it’s not the ideal lathe for heavy duty use but I’ve just acquired an SK100 chuck to use with it so hope to do some useful turning. I’ll let go of adapting the tail stock for accurate drilling for the time being. My new issue is about gouging out a recess in a piece of Ash but I’ll post that in a new thread.

I agree that you are unlikely to find an adaptor off the shelf.
Mine (No. 2 below) was kindly made for me by a member of our woodturning club who was also an engineer.

Drill Chucks.jpg

Chucks for electric & battery drills generally have an internal thread rather than an internal taper.
10mm capacity chucks are 3/8" x 24 UNF whilst 13mm chucks are threaded 1/2" x 20 UNF

From left to right
1. Drill chuck
2. Drill chuck with 3/4" x 16 adaptor
3. Drill chuck with MT2 arbor (the arbour has a 1/2" x 20 male thread)
4. Drill chuck mounted on handle

I agree that you are unlikely to find an adaptor off the shelf.
Mine (No. 2 below) was kindly made for me by a member of our woodturning club who was also an engineer.

View attachment 106711

Chucks for electric & battery drills generally have an internal thread rather than an internal taper.
10mm capacity chucks are 3/8" x 24 UNF whilst 13mm chucks are threaded 1/2" x 20 UNF

From left to right
1. Drill chuck
2. Drill chuck with 3/4" x 16 adaptor
3. Drill chuck with MT2 arbor (the arbour has a 1/2" x 20 male thread)
4. Drill chuck mounted on handle
Thanks. I had considered something like this but can’t find an adapter like your No 2 which I assume is 3/4” x 16 female (to a tail stock threaded rod like mine) and 1/2” x 20 male to screw into the chuck. From what you say it custom made.

Back