Thread Cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
I was watching a Video on box making for the novice, all the boxes look simple - ish to make however all the lids were push fitted, do you have to buy a special jig to do threads or can they be done by hand, if so which one is recommended

Tony

TOny

Push fitted lids - thread cutting?

I am confiused.

To cut small threads use a tap and die set

For large threads a lathe with a mechanical feed - metal turning lathe

Might be able to cut threads on a wood lathe but I would GUESS that you need a jig of some sort

UKTony,

Slow down a bit, learn to turn before you even think of looking at threads. There's a whole world of other skills you should consider first. Good suction fit lids on boxes are challenging enough, try these first.

Tony:

Threads can be cut on a woodturning lathe using hand held tools, these are bought with different pitched teeth, one tool each for the male and femal. Only very and dense woods will take a clean thread and only a few turners can do it well.

Regards....Mike

Hello Tony,

Sorby_890H_Chasers.jpg

Regards....Mike

Cutting Crew":2ncvnofv said:
UKTony,

Slow down a bit, learn to turn before you even think of looking at threads. There's a whole world of other skills you should consider first. Good suction fit lids on boxes are challenging enough, try these first.

Mike

More an inquisitive question rather than an attempt, will have a go at a box this week once i've tried a few egg cups/goblets...looks like the rest of my woodwork is takking a back seat :lol:

Hi UKTony,

I'm not surprised your 'normal' woodwork is getting neglected, I found learning to turn wood so absorbing that I ignored my table saw for months.

You have just missed it for this year, but the Woodworking and Turning show at Stoneleigh (October) has a number of demonstrations going on that you can watch and talk to the experts. I saw a demo of box making with screw tops and it was awesome.

Good luck with the egg cups and goblets

Wulf

Back