• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Thoughts on this compressor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex Barn Workshop

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A 24L compressor for under £100, from a reputable supplier. I know there is lots of knowledge on this site about compressors, and wondered what the collective thoughts are on this one. To get the lower price, don't forget to use the code shown otherwise it's just under £120.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ei...h-code-uk-mainland-at-toolstationebay-4016881
This link also takes you to one of my favourite sites, where I daily check the 'Garden and DIY' thread for good deals on tools!

Much depends on what you want to do with it.

One point to bear in mind, apart from the capacity of the tank, is the air delivery rate. Sometimes that is stated in Imperial, sometimes in Metric. The Einhill one from Toolstation is 180 Litres/min, which equates to 6.3 Cubic Feet. The one quoted by Jameshow is considerably more, at 9.6 Cubic Feet, half as much again.

(All small compressors tend to be annoyingly noisy if used for any length of time).

With the tool kit it's not a bad deal. The tool kit is probably only £15 but at this price level it's a fair chunk of the total. The tools won't be top quality but an air hose and tyre inflator - everyone will make use of them.

1.6HP isn't very big by modern standards. DIY compressors of that sort of power used to be fairly common as without soft start it's about as much as you can hang off a domestic 13A plug. Nowadays 2 and 3HP units can do the same. Having said that it'll do the most of the same tasks as its more powerful brethren although you may need to be choosey with tools and work may be slower, depending on what you are doing of course. The only show stopper that comes to mind is sand blasting but this is a woodworking forum. ☺️

It's a good deal but not exceptional. If I was in the market at this kind of level I would lean towards that Sheppach Aldi have had on their website the last few months. Sods law is that it's gone now (give it a couple of months) but from memory that was a 2.5HP unit, minus the toolkit but with full three year warranty for around the £90 mark.

Get a belt drive compressor.
I currently have a pair of compressors. A old belt driven one and a direct drive one. They're both on the edge of 13a 1ph (I have them plugged into 16a MCB)

Belt drive still makes a racket but it's a little softer noise than the hammering of the direct drive.

Cheap direct drives have a habit of breaking. Those ones with the tee on the outlet with the regulator seem especially bad (there were a few of the same thing under different brands)

If you are going to be spraying large areas or lots of items in one go then you might want to think about getting one with a bigger tank,should be OK for smaller spray jobs and most other things.
I agree, as a retired spray painter I'd recommend at least 14 cfm for panel work, but ok for 'touch-up' jobs, otherwise you'll spray a bit then wait for the air to build up then spray a bit more, & probably lose the 'wet edge'. These compressors are fairly noisy & struggle with nail guns (that's my experience). They also work ok with air brushes & inflating tyres.

Having owned various compressors over the years, my latest (retirement) model is the SIP QT100/10.

I too have endured machines which are noisy, limited on capicity and FAD and the QT100/10 has solved all of them in spades !

Firstly it has twin 1.3 HP (1kW) induction-motored oil-less pumps which run at 59dB. The 100L receiver has enough capacity for heavy demand tools and it delivers 145 psi (10 Bar) air at a whopping 10.8CFM. While the quietness of operation won me over (driven by the need to use it in a domestic location) some may find the 7 minute fill time from empty too long. That said, when the air tool makes more noise than the running compressor, that kinda puts it into perspective.

Check out these YouTube clips for an independent assessment:

Back