Thoughts on tablesaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilkoJay

Reaction score
Hello

I've been looking on and off at table saws for quite some time. A Dewalt D27400 has come up for sale near me for £150 in good condition, which seems like quite a good price.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it looks well built but somewhat a little Utilitarian. I'm wondering whether its likely to be missing some angle or feature that a noobie might need at some point in the future. ie: has less features but does those very well, rather that another one that does lots more things - but badly....

Or there is something like this: Metabo TKHS 315 as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
It depends what you intend to use the saw for. I had an older version of the Metabo that served me well for years but all I used it for was ripping timber to size which would then be planed up. They are a basic style of saw but the good thing about them is they have induction motors so kind to the ears.

Saws in the style of the Dewalt 7485 always seem more popular, often with a cast top and mitre slot which people seem to like. These are generally a bit more accurate and have more scope for jigs etc if you want to go down that route but they don't have induction motors so can be a bit loud!

I have recently bought a Evolution Rage 5s which has a lot of bells and whistle’s with it, sliding table, fold away stand, easy to use controls. It’s a great peice of kit and I am happy with it.

It has obviously been built to a price as it is fairly plasticy and makes a lot of noise. It will suit what I need but not sure how long it would last with anything like professional use.

Hello

I've been looking on and off at table saws for quite some time. A Dewalt D27400 has come up for sale near me for £150 in good condition, which seems like quite a good price.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it looks well built but somewhat a little Utilitarian. I'm wondering whether its likely to be missing some angle or feature that a noobie might need at some point in the future. ie: has less features but does those very well, rather that another one that does lots more things - but badly....

Or there is something like this: Metabo TKHS 315 as well.

Thanks
Both are agricultural site saws rather than cabinet makers saws.

If your wanting to improve I'd look at a second hand cast iron saw....

They start at £300+++

I had the Metabo version for a couple of days so for what it’s worth here’s my take.

Induction motors are awesome, quiet solid for maintenance.
This was the main draw for the Metabo for me.

A couple of significant things I didn’t like though..

Because of the all metal minimal table construction it’s monstrously loud. To combat this I was going to just use the innards and make a new cabinet and top for it, but I ended up with another saw.

The blade size is awesome as it’s a beast, but massive blades mean more expensive blades.

I think the Metabo, Dewalt, Scheppach, and others are all a similar design, and if you’re on site and don’t care about noise and blade cost/finish they’re awesome. I think for a noob things like the cost, vibration, and noise would quickly annoy you or your neighbours.

Just my experience though and I think you can always figure out ways to make something work for you, but sometimes as a noob you want to learn stuff at your pace, not just buy something that gives you headaches

Thanks for the replies, they were both from the same seller and I'm probably wrong but I got a bad feeling for no apparent reason so decided not to proceed.

I've been after a table saw for a while, but haven't got room at the moment until we do some work on the house. However I saw those going cheap so thought I might take a punt and risk the wraith of my wife... :)

I'd avoid site saws mainly as the majority are brush motors and seriously loud. Look for something with an induction motor, they're far quieter and better for the home/small workshop environment.

Edit: i see above others have already mentioned these points.

Back