Thoughts on older Lurem machines? Specifically P/Ts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath Robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I've been offered a Lurem planer/thicknesser, for around £300. I'm heading up to look at it later this week, but would like to hear if anyone has any experience with them. I have a friend, who's opinion I trust, who has a Lurem combination machine which he loves. The planer I'm going to see is of a similar vintage to that machine, green paint and heavy construction. It sounds like it's in great condition, and has had little use, but anyone have any clues as to what I should be looking out for past the obvious stuff?

I like my 1973 Lurem c210b combi which, many years ago, I bought early doors at a carboot sale. Although when I stripped it down and reassembled it I discovered a couple of problems that needed to be dealt with.
The rotating starter switch, on/off/on/off, was dicky and needed attention. In the end due to not finding a replacement I had to rob good copper contacts out of another switch to replace the existing burnt out and eroded one's.
The other problem and one that may be of more concern to you was that the cast iron planer tables were not flat. The castings had warped .
Thankfully the available adjustments allow you to get them seated on the machine at all the hinge and resting points.
It took a while to do but using the cutter head as a datum and very course sanding belt attached to a long flat timber I gradually worked away most of the high areas. It still bears the scars of this work (even some visible low areas) but will produce absolutely flat and straight surfaces.
So with the above in mind take a good RIGID straight edge to test any flat castings.
Also bear in mind Lurem specific spares can be hard to find.
The manuals used to be online but the host has disappeared and I have not seen them elsewhere.
Please do feel free to call if I can help further.
Cheers Andy

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I went to have a look at it, and it wasn't quite what I'd expected - It was pretty much a bench-top machine, albeit on some really thick angle legs, and with a 6" cutter head and 2hp motor. The tables were cast, but cast alloy, and each side was two pieces which seems less than ideal.

Back