thoughts on construction of a record cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap white glue from Homebase gives you at least 20 minutes open time, plus a bit more time to nudge things around. If there is any complexity in a glue up I wouldn't use anything else (on internal jobs).

I think your housing depth is about right. Do think that once you’ve glued the shelves in you effectively haven’t got 9mm material in the middle, you are back to 19mm but with compromised continuity.

I made something a bit like this but way more shelves and during glue up it wasn’t straight. After just a few minutes I could only get it apart with a sledge hammer, the structure is very strong inherently.

Aidan

thanks For your input tiddles and mike

I spent some time playing around with the width of the jig last night trying to get a decent fit on some test scrap. where it is neither too sloppy or too tight where you have to bash it in with a mallet. took more than a few go's achieve. aiming for a fairly snug fit but one quite easy to insert.

thanks For your input tiddles and mike

I spent some time playing around with the width of the jig last night trying to get a decent fit on some test scrap. where it is neither too sloppy or too tight where you have to bash it in with a mallet. took more than a few go's achieve. aiming for a fairly snug fit but one quite easy to insert.

Remember to leave room for the glue plus swelling

Aidan

good shout, thought to add a piece of paper to the stock when setting the width of the jig to account for a little space either side

So I have finally finished my record cabinet and delivered it to a happy customer/friend. Since this thread contributed massively to the construction and design of this cabinet I felt it right to post the finished product in here.
Thank you all very much for your input and guidance which was a great resource to go from.

I ended up putting solid wood trim on every block board panel and going for stopped rabbets/housings for the shelving which was a first for me but took my time and practiced on scrap and they came out great. Really happy with the outcome and she's solid as a rock.

Thank you all once again and what a great place it is here.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 46
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 40
That looks really solid and smart! I particularly like the colour and lippings.

If you have, or know anyone with a sheet metal bending brake, you might offer your client some section dividers (like book-ends). The ones we used were simply 3-4mm thick aluminium sheet rectangles, bent through a right-angle to give a "foot" around 5-6" long which goes under the records so their weight holds up the vertical "book-end" part. Obviously, the edges are smoothed, and the horizontal bit has a rounded bevel so things don't scuff. Poshness would mean adding baize or felt to the horizontal bit, too, to protect the sleeves, and your nice shelves.

If he intends to fill it completely from the outset, then it's not so important.

Looks good, glad to see good solid lippings and not iron-on-fall-off stuff ! Good to hear it is solid a s a rock, it needs to be for LP's, they are surprisingly heavy.

But most of all, thanks for coming back with the pictures ! It is always good to see the end of the story 👍

Thanks all for the feedback and solid advice.

@Erictheviking that sounds like a great idea. seems he's just filling it up with lp's but something i'll defiantly make a note of.

the colour by the way is from osmo's range of hardwax oils and is the 'honey' one.

since the client already had quiet light pale wooden floors he wanted the oak to have a darker appearance so we tried some samples and went with this.

Back