thought for rob lee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there having just bought an LV No 6, and cleaned up and sorted the blade, i checked it with my engineers square. this was kind of scary, (not scary sharp)

generally one should only check square from one side, but i tested the flat surface from both sides, and found an anomaly. it was low on the same side of the square when on either side of the blade.

so my question is are the sides of the LV 2 3/8 blades parallel to each other and smooth when produced, or am i worrying too much??
paul :oops: :whistle:

I have a similar phenomenon on my LA jack, the sole is slightly concave. But it's within tolerances of 3 thou except maybe toward the rear of the heel, where it really doesn't matter. More importantly, the plane performs like a charm, it really doesn't affect performance, at least on anything I've tried so far (including some wickedly curly maple, and figured yellowheart). If I'm not mistaken a slightly concave sole comes from clamping pressure during finish grinding.

Having started with metal myself (also at Vauxhall for a while) then moved to wood I find myself worrying too much about the odd thou error on a tool, but I suppose it's a silly question to ask if the square is not at fault? I must confess I often use my planes to check my try squares! Do you have a 50 - 75 micrometer to check for parallelism on the sides?

engineer one":2sl2fogg said:
hi there having just bought an LV No 6, and cleaned up and sorted the blade, i checked it with my engineers square. this was kind of scary, (not scary sharp)

generally one should only check square from one side, but i tested the flat surface from both sides, and found an anomaly. it was low on the same side of the square when on either side of the blade.

so my question is are the sides of the LV 2 3/8 blades parallel to each other and smooth when produced, or am i worrying too much??
paul :oops: :whistle:

Paul -

If I understand correctly, you're asking about the sides of the blades??

Terry (Chief Designer) tells me:

There is no over-riding parallel spec on the blade sides,
they are controlled via the dimension tolerance only.
In this case +/-.010, which at it's extreme would result
in a taper of 0.1 degrees per side.

Hope that helps...

Rob
(who just blew something in his back, pulling a boat trailer.... :cry: :cry: )

Rob
(who just blew something in his back, pulling a boat trailer.... )

Rob, you have my sympathy, do take care of your back, nothing worse pain wise. :(

Mind you, personally I pull my boat trailer with a 4X4........ :p

Regards
martin

thanks for the quick reply rob, having once had scoliosis, i know about back problems, it is generally a question of the body reminding us that we are not as young as our brains say we are!!! :lol:

with all this talk about planing properly, maybe we should have lessons in pulling vast yachts from the ocean too :wink:

yes guys i was talking about the sides of the blade, not least because i learnt something else new, the basic blade guide on a tormek only "just" takes a 2 3/8th blade, so i was thinking it might be a little out.
yes i have checked my square, but since it is a metal working one i tend to trust it slightly more. what caused me to think was that i had sharpened and honed square, and thought to make sure after discovering the problem with the guide. actually it probably makes the blade work better, after i lightly honed on a 10000 stone, i have tonight tested the whole plane on a big off cut bit of lime i bought a couple of weeks ago. yes alf it works, but it is nice to know what is happening. more importantly it reminds one that when sharpening, honing and setting the blade, the sides are not necessarily as smooth or parallel as we would think, so the front of the blade where it comes through the throat is the only thing to concentrate on, and where the lateral adjuster is does not matter so much if you are getting the proper removal.

couple of other points, how do you learn " " to plane the edge which is at an angle to being square. i know about the lv attachment i have one, just want to know how you experts do it free hand. :tool:

finally again to rob, when are you going to send more MK11 sharpening jigs to the uk?????

thanks again for the speedy response,
and for producing such good planes, my shavings are thin and the surfaces smooth as a babies behind. what am i doing wrong??? :wink:

paul

Rob Lee":3iqz8pot said:
Rob
(who just blew something in his back, pulling a boat trailer.... :cry: :cry: )
Ooo, ouch. :( See? I knew water was dangerous. No water, no boats, no boat trailers. QED.

Paul, start here and subsequent. A search on "jointing edges" or "cambered edges" will bring up more. I linked to the first one because in a search the subject line is unhelpful and you'd probably overlook it. Which is why it's nice not to crowd too many differing points into one thread... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

yes guys i was talking about the sides of the blade

Darn. I assumed (not reading carefully) that you were talking about the sides of the plane, which can be important (within tolerance) for use on a shotting board.

Interestingly, many woodie blades are quite strongly tapered in width.

Here's someone else having the same issue, back in 2001.

http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... 58#message

BugBear

engineer one":2rpx0k6b said:
yes guys i was talking about the sides of the blade,
Sorry Paul I also mis-read. As has been said, I wouldn't worry about bench plane blades too much because of the lateral adjustment. However some shoulder planes like a Record 042 can give very little lateral adjustment. As part of refurbishment I spent some time getting the blade in my old 042 ground exactly square, then found that the plane was badly machined and it would not move enough to the left to sit square to the sole, which was presumably why the original owner honed it at an angle. Who said quality was better in the '50's? In the end I didn't have the heart to regrind it on the "p" and I took a slice off the side of the narrow part of the blade after which it cut nicely once again. Now I just hone or grind parallel to the original edge. Fortunately someone over the Pond now owns the Record via eBay.

As part of refurbishment I spent some time getting the blade in my old 042 ground exactly square, then found that the plane was badly machined and it would not move enough to the left to sit square to the sole, which was presumably why the original owner honed it at an angle.

I've had that experience with a #78. Frustrating isn't it ](*,)

BugBear

Hi Mark, glad to see you posting here.
On a further note, any chance of having reasonable postage charges for customers in this part of the world? Currently for small items you're charging £15. Granted, you're not the size of Axminster but when smaller companies such as Wealden and Tilgear charge little money for P & P I would think Rutlands would attract more custom with a sensible rate.

Rgds

Noel

engineer one":zs2dp0re said:
(snip)
finally again to rob, when are you going to send more MK11 sharpening jigs to the uk?????
(snip)

paul

Hi Paul -

Good news is, we're just about to send a whack of stuff to Brimarc for the APTC show... and the MKII honing guide's on the list.

We're having some real capacity issues keeping up with that one... we've really been caught off guard by how quickly it's taken off. We've had to subcontract some of the "easy" parts out (Brass knobs) - but it's the eccentric axles and rollers which take the most time - and are the most demanding... and that work we won't sub out....we're catching up...

All "good" problems to have.... but I'd be happier to have the accounting dept frowning at higher inventory levels....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to Noel in N.Ireland with regard to carriage charges.

In our Summer 2005 catalogue we did reduce the price of carriage to N. Ireland from £14.95 to £9.95 for parcels up to 45kg. As of December 1st we are introducing a new packet post rate of £2.95 for goods weighing less than 2kg to all UK postcode addresses, naturally including NIreland & Scottish Islands.

Rob Lee":3fg1fojh said:
We're having some real capacity issues keeping up with that one... we've really been caught off guard by how quickly it's taken off.

Rob, What else did you expect when it's been favourably reviewed here?? :lol:

Back