Those were the days

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
when I was a teenager in the 1960's the covers of the woodworker magazine carried adverts to two machines I salivated over, one was the coronet and the other the Kity. Years later I did manage to buy a coronet major and over time collected all of the attachments. H&S guys look away, ha ha today whilst browsing you tube I found this wonderful. post

What machines of your past did you covet whilst growing into the hobby.

We’re those the days when women were women & men using coronet woodworking machinery lost fingers regularly :oops: :oops: :oops:

About the only thing it couldn’t do as far as I can see is planing and thicknessing, but it all looks so dangerous nowadays, I bet that wasn’t cheap, to buy it and all the parts to go with it must have been many thousands in today’s money, particularly as it wasn’t made by the cheap Chinese. My Myford lathe had a lot of parts you could buy to do a similar thing but I only ever had the lathe, and still in use. Ian

The Coronets had a 4 1/2" planer & an optional thicknesser attachment

Coronet Planer Thicknesser.JPG

I know you said look away at the safety side but I just could not keep my eyes off it. The sawing was creeping me out then came the molding cutter and the wobble blade. One of those things you watch thinking that could do some real damage. That said I still use an old Ezycut (Australian made) combo saw and planer. It came with a molding cutter head but I have never been game to try that function. The saw does have a riving knife and guard by the way.
P1010005.JPG
P1010002.JPG
P1010002.JPG

Actually when I started buying tools back in the early 70tes I was buying one hand tool at a time as the budget allowed. Machines were so far out of my reach moneywise I dident think I would ever own any. Then came the Black & Decker drill and the rot set in.
Regards
John

I got that film in a box of wadkin and dewalt cine films. I've got another coronet one where the guy is metal spinning. I need to find a cost effective way of digitising them a bit better. That was done with my phone.
I've got a really chauvinistic film which looks like its from the 5O's showing some dewalt machines in a home workshop. The way his wife is portrayed is comical.
Theres also another film showing some industrial stuff, with what looks like a 36" radial arm saw

He was planer thicknessing at around the 5:30 minute mark albeit the thicknesser bed is above the timber
Haha, I did watch it all but must have been overwhelmed by all the different operations, Anyone know what all the whole kit would’ve cost?

Haha, I did watch it all but must have been overwhelmed by all the different operations, Anyone know what all the whole kit would’ve cost?
I knew I had an article on the designer Charles Parker somewhere, I found it in copy of Woodworker of December 1951

8B1BE970-B6FA-466B-8E01-57B009805849.jpeg

8141A21F-21B9-4046-A5E7-891873847C3C.jpeg

It started at £8-17-0 which according to an online inflation calculator is around £280 in today’s money I guess all the add on parts were extra.
I’m are I have an advert in one of my old magazines with prices for the different pieces that bolted on but I’d have to have a deeper look.

Doug, I thought I was going to have to be really embarrassed and admit that I had that same volume and should’ve known all about that, but mine is the bound annual and it isn’t in there, volume 55 number 967 woodworker Dec 1951 not there. But thanks for that I’ll study it more carefully later. Ian

An old friend who is no longer with us was co-owner of Coronet tool company towards the end of trading they held a sale of all stock in Derby it was the Blue colour by then, I think it was in the 70's it closed and the company was merged into Record Sheffield, I still have the two wheel bandsaw in the workshop.

I got that film in a box of wadkin and dewalt cine films. I've got another coronet one where the guy is metal spinning. I need to find a cost effective way of digitising them a bit better. That was done with my phone.
I've got a really chauvinistic film which looks like its from the 5O's showing some dewalt machines in a home workshop. The way his wife is portrayed is comical.
Theres also another film showing some industrial stuff, with what looks like a 36" radial arm saw
I'd love to see them if you get them digitised

Back