Those of you who live in France and Spain......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
In a few weeks time I am setting off with my wife to cycle down to Asturias in northern Spain. This 15 day ride takes us through northern and western France (through Dreux, Chartres, Tours) down to the west coast at La Rochelle, then along the coast down to the Spanish border at Irun/ Hendaye. We're then into the Pyrenees and their Spanish extension..........Donostia, Bilbao, Santander, before finally finishing near Oviedo, after about a thousand miles of riding.

So, does anyone live anywhere near our route? Do you own a kettle and some tea bags? If so, and you fancy giving me a workshop tour, let me know and we'll see if we can make a plan. Further, any tips on local routes and roads (and accommodation, too, if you know of pensions, B&Bs, or small hotels) would be much appreciated.

1000 miles? I wish you the best of luck. I believe the original TdF riders used to combat saddle sores with a bit of raw steak in their shorts. Would be a bit smelly after 15 days though.

Cycling shorts and saddles are a bit more sophisticated these days! We've done a thousand mile ride before and didn't have a sore backside at all.

67 miles a day is going to take it's toll.
penny farthing.jpg

be careful and above all else be safe.

Attachments

• penny farthing.jpg
    penny farthing.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 405
Garno":3giy66g5 said:
67 miles a day is going to take it's toll.......

Yeah, I reckon we'll sleep quite well. :lol: I'm doing about 150 miles a week at the moment, and will be up to 200 by the time we go, so we should be well prepared.

be careful and above all else be safe.

Thanks. France and Spain are much safer for cyclists than here, but you're right.......safety is our first concern.

Mike, should be very scenic....keep you eye on the roads....and yes over here in Spain cyclists get a lot of respect.....good luck and if you should get lost and end up in southern Spain I'll put the kettle on.....

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Just don't do what some originally English friends now in NZ did a couple of years ago - decided to ride their bikes from the start of the River Rhine (near Disentis, Switzerland) to the end of the Rhine at the North Sea (Rotterdam). Taking it easy they got as far as Basel on the 2nd day and in the city the front wheel of one of their bikes got caught in the tramlines resulting in a broken leg and 2 weeks in hospital plus another 3 in Rehab.

Still at least we were able see them both almost daily, and last year they came back again and did it all "properly".

Seriously, be safe.

Back