This Weeks Mystery Items!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Two oddball tools this week, any thoughts are welcome.
First off, a kind of well made Plated steel plate with lots of holes
max-a.jpg

max-b.jpg

max-c.jpg

max-d.jpg

next are to screw together mould kind of thingies:
mould-a.jpg

mould-b.jpg

Dowel making, bullets, reloading shotguns, I have no idea whatsoever, both very well made and Googling the name give nothing.
Over toyou guys :lol:
Cheers,
Martin

Split stakes used in Clock Making are similar to the bottom ones but their sizes all vary - not uniform like those?

Rod :?

Hmm,
GI, there is no provision on the top one to tighten to make swages.
Harbo, bottom ones holes are blind, ending in hemispherical ends.
Martin

Oh Martin, you love to torment us so....

Well, the top one looks for all the world like a de luxe version of Connect 4, a game that my daughters regularly used to beat me at when they were quite young.

Could it in fact be a carrying case for circular objects which have gone missing over the years e.g. precision spacers or weights?

Martin - not one of things that you put your pint on in a pub bar? :lol: ..not that I ever go into pubs :^o - Rob

Information on the company is held at the records office seem to be a 19th century concern.

Board of Trade: Companies Registration Office: Files of Dissolved Companies ...No. of Company: 63526; Max Schliephak Limited. . No. of Company: 63526; Max Schliephak Limited. Board of Trade: Companies Registration Office: Files of Dissolved Companies Date: 1899

The top one looks, from its finish, as if it could have had a medical use - laboratory perhaps - holding test tubes or instruments for sterilizing?? The second, from the appearance and description I would have thought would be a mould for making something - is it connected with the first piece in any way or are they completely separate items?

Steve

I think the bottom one is a jig for making dominoes, and I don't mean the festool ones. I remember my dad having something like that over 40 years ago for that purpose

Prom,
Items are separate I think, the plate has no obvious fixings or clamps, very weird.
tsb,
Not for dominoes as the holes are about 3/8" diameter, the holes would produce something bullet shaped if used to cast something. They come into two and three pieces.
Its the large plate that has me snookered!
I too, found the company reference but no other info.
Martin

They both look to me as if they might be something from a pharmacy. With the second one, if you forced powder / some sort of mixture down into the holes, maybe it would make pills, which could then be released by easing off the screw clamp. With the depth and the rounded bottoms, maybe it would make suppositories!

Andy

AndyT":3pvfxilv said:
They both look to me as if they might be something from a pharmacy. With the second one, if you forced powder / some sort of mixture down into the holes, maybe it would make pills, which could then be released by easing off the screw clamp. With the depth and the rounded bottoms, maybe it would make suppositories!

Andy
.... or possibly something for dosing horses/cattle? I have vague memories of things about that size being used for the farm horses "when I were a lad".
Also wondered about it being a mould for real bullets, but I'd expect them to show signs of being heated, which those don't appear to.

Hi

I'm sorry for reviving an old post, but I bumped into it while searching for details on my great grandfather, who is the Max Schliephak mentioned.

He was a german born manufacturer / retailer chemist, who ran a store at 44 Charlotte Street, London.

Max's son Henry took over from him, and Henry's own son is still alive, so may even recognise the type of device as he may have helped out in the store from time to time.

I don't know much about the manufacture side of his business, but it seems certain to me that the device you describe would have been made for pressing pills that he would have dispensed from his store.

If you do a search for 19th century pill press in google images, you might be able to see if something there matches this device.

As a side note, Max's daughter went on to marry another german, Wilhelm Kammerling, who ran a hand tool company called CK Tools, which some of you might be familiar with.

So, I would really like to get in touch with the user mahking51 who posted this topic, as the images he posted in this topic aren't showing up on here anymore, and I'd love to find out more about the device and where he bought it or came across it, as any info will help build a picture of my ancestors.

So if anyone know how I can contact mahking51, or if someone can point him toward my post here, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks

David

He was online quite recentley so will probably recieve an email saying his thread has had a new post and then check.

Adidat

phil.p":3bpvkqv9 said:
Put a couple more posts up and you will be able to send him a PM.
Thanks Phil, good idea.

Anyone know how many posts are needed to be able to send a pm?

David

Back