This week's Lidl stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
Some interesting stuff this week at Lidl. The DIY 'event' thing started today. I went and had a look.

The large 70mm 'clip' style clamps are excellent and well worth the £4 for a pair, I bought a few packs.

They had a gigantic hot glue gun that is gas powered interestingly enough. Looked pretty substantial for a hot glue gun.

The grinder with the belt sander was a bit 'meh'. Tool rests looked like junk (like they often are on these things) and the main grinding stone was pretty narrow and of dubious quality - although I suppose you could still swap it out for a better white stone. I will hold out for a half speed/slower speed grinder I think.

I was tempted by the £50 18/(20)v SDS hammer drill. I got one out of the box and it actually looked to be a decent bit of kit for the money - definitely one of the better Parkside tools on first impressions. I have a Dewalt impact and drill driver set but my hammer drill is way past it, so I might end up with it - anyone any experience of it?

EDIT: After a bit of digging around it looks like the Parkside SDS drill is basically a version of a Einhell drill that retails for around £90-100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZ011wbFY8

might give that glue gun a try. I was looking at a gas one but didn't want to spend £60.

If I hadn't recently got their electric glue gun I would have picked up a gas one, cordless freedom could have been very handy for some jobs I do.

I bought the soldering gun with automatic solder feed, haven't used it yet but looks fine, also picked up a few packs of the glue sticks,

Bodgers":1ga3okwv said:
After a bit of digging around it looks like the Parkside SDS drill is basically a version of a Einhell drill that retails for around £90-100.
I think that was the previous (18v) version, this one seems to be Kompernass (like all of the current Parkside 20V Li-ion battery range) according to the manual.

part_time_cowboy":q1eakwat said:
Bodgers":q1eakwat said:
After a bit of digging around it looks like the Parkside SDS drill is basically a version of a Einhell drill that retails for around £90-100.
I think that was the previous (18v) version, this one seems to be Kompernass (like all of the current Parkside 20V Li-ion battery range) according to the manual.

Kompernass are a Lidl subsidiary and handle the import and warranty of all of their electrical products, mostly made in China. The Parkside 20v range is made in the same factory as many of the Einhell power tools and is re-badged for Lidl. The fiasco of the last 20v tool promotion, where batteries and chargers were sold separately, was a marketing cluster and Lidl, once realising what a cock-up it was with tools on sale but no batteries/chargers available, ordered their UK stores to remove all 20v tools from sale.

I bought the oscillating saw which was in effect an Einhell painted green but returned it as the battery would not hold its charge and there were no replacements. Cracking tool though for £30. They have learned from that and the latest 20v SDS drill comes complete with a charger and batttery and is, as Bodgers says, a variation of the Einhell one.

The little soldering iron with the self feed solder reel is a cracking little tool and at £9 a steal. Must have a closer look at the gas glue gun.

i have just bought the glue gun. I have only opened it in the car and not used it, but it feels robust. at first glance, well worth the £20

marcros":3se6wqno said:
i have just bought the glue gun. I have only opened it in the car and not used it, but it feels robust. at first glance, well worth the £20

I popped into my local Lidl this morning and picked up the gas powered Glue Gun, along with a few packs of the glue sticks.

I tried it out when I got to work and it works a treat..!!! As Marcros said, well worth £20 IMHO.

I purchased the shop vac and the grinder. I agree that the rests on the grinder are not the best but i think that it will fulfill my needs.

So... I was in Lidl again today and the last SDS 20v drill was sitting there with my name on it so I bought it.

Problem.

Has anybody heard of:

"Radial runout deviation on idling"

I got it out of the box, stuck a bit in, and basically the chuck has a shed load of wobble.

Decided to RTFM, and this is what I find in the manual, stating that it's normal.

Is this Kompernass/Parkside's way of explaining away dodgy QA, or is it real in hammer SDS drills?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

SDS bits are generally fairly lose in the chucks so will wobble around a bit. Try actually drilling a hole, it should centre up then.

If you wanted a premium quality tool why did you buy the Parkside tool.
I am broutel with my tools and just want them to do the job but not needing to last forever.
I have got a lot of Parkside tools and none of them have failed to live up to my expectations.

Bodgers":2tqk6euw said:
So... I was in Lidl again today and the last SDS 20v drill was sitting there with my name on it so I bought it.

Problem.

Has anybody heard of:

"Radial runout deviation on idling"

I got it out of the box, stuck a bit in, and basically the chuck has a shed load of wobble.

Decided to RTFM, and this is what I find in the manual, stating that it's normal.

Is this Kompernass/Parkside's way of explaining away dodgy QA, or is it real in hammer SDS drills?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Not sure this will help but for once for me I'm not veering wildly off topic. (Yet :D ) I have a dewalt SDS that I bought to save my handheld getting back pain. Thinking was I can use the sds for knocking the a*se out of the house as I do it up and skip the need for a more accurate drill, meanwhile my handheld will do anything requiring any delicacy. Having since read some decent reviews of cheaper sds drills I might have spent more than I needed as some of the cheaper ones have some great comments on here. Still. My point is that I also bought a dewalt adaptor chuck for the sds so I can use all my older bits rather than buy a whole new set of sds bits for drilling through rafters or whathaveyou.
First bit I tried, I turned the drill on, not expecting a huge amount. Boy was I wrong. There was so much runnout the Earth wobbled on its axis and many poor souls in the Polynesian Archipelago (strangely localised) felt several moments of immense dread followed by an aftertaste of burnt toffee. (It was reported in the news but I never owned up it was my drill that did it.) So that chuck went back to screwfix and was replaced by a Bosch one. Vast improvement for an extra fiver. I wasn't expecting Meddings accuracy. The sds is a beast. Eats anything, and when using it for it's real purpose: smashing the almighty out of concrete walls, drilling cores through brick, popping 1970s colourblind bathroom tiles off the walls (pew pew pew!) etc it excels, and like your one probably has pretty much the right amount of accuracy versus grunt versus price. The handheld does everything else. Right tool for the right job. :wink:
Cheers
Chris

Interesting.

I have a drill press, and I already have a Dewalt 10.8v drill driver and impact set for most jobs, so I have accuracy for standard drilling covered. I also have this beast of a Silverline SDS hammer drill thing which is a very blunt instrument that I bought for smashing up some fence post foundations with the chisel bit - terrible quality and is practically dead, but it is powerful and it does work for now. Never really paid attention to run out as all it ever had to do was destroy things.

I am doing some alterations to my garage workshop over the next few months (timber rack, some dry-lining, new garage doors and frame etc.) so I though this may come in handy. As long as its accurate enough to drill holes into masonry I'll be happy, but I was a bit disappointed to see the wobble tbh.

It does seem like a half decent bit of kit other than this though - plastics seem decent and the trigger is smooth with decent control over the running speed. Incredible that you can get a 20v battery a set of SDS bits and the drill for £50

powertools":2dxfs7oj said:
If you wanted a premium quality tool why did you buy the Parkside tool.
I am broutel with my tools and just want them to do the job but not needing to last forever.
I have got a lot of Parkside tools and none of them have failed to live up to my expectations.

Drilling a hole without it being twice the size of the bit due to the run out is not a premium quality only feature.

My expectations of this are fairly low, but if it turns out that the run out I'm seeing translates into the holes it drills, it is unusable on any measure of quality.

We'll see how it pans out...

I've bought plenty of clamps and accessory type stuff before from Lidl (and they have been good), but this is my first power tool, so I am open minded about it. I've been fairly impressed with the stuff I've seen in there so far.

FWIW it's worth I have found that when using an SDS drill it is better to go slightly undersize with your bit. For red plugs I use 5.5mm instead of 6 and for brown plugs I use 6.5mm instead of 7mm, I get a better fit. On softer materials I step down even more, after all it is quite easy to make a hole bigger, much more difficult to make it smaller!

Back