This weeks boot sale haul!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are three little bits I got at my local boot sale today, total £3.25
First is a Stanley No 53 spokeshave that has springs but a very short (worn out ) iron, can this be replaced easily? Alf tell me all about it pls!!
Model-53-S-shave.jpg

Second is an odd Stanley honing guide that I have never seen before, its very small. any thoughts or comments anyone?
stanley-guide.jpg

The wheel is very wobbly, again worn out??

Last is this odd chuck thingy! Beautifully made obviously by hand, about 6" long overall and 2" wide at the business end.
Inscribed: 'Pat'd Dec 24th 1872 A.F Gushman Maker Hartford Conn'
chuck.jpg

Again anyone have any comments /info.
Also got a nice 6" gents saw in great nick.
Regards
Martin

Martin.

Looks like Philly has been taking some of his old tools into Dorchester :wink:

Put them up for sale on ebay and you could make a profit.

mahking51":2k3qsrmr said:
Here are three little bits I got at my local boot sale today, total £3.25
Sigh. Why can't I live somewhere where the sellers haven't got a clue? :(

First is a Stanley No 53 spokeshave that has springs but a very short (worn out ) iron, can this be replaced easily? Alf tell me all about it pls!!
For the Blood 'n' Gore Spokeshave Stylee, try here. Seems Ron Hock is the man to talk to about a replacement blade; don't think Ray Iles does one.

Second is an odd Stanley honing guide that I have never seen before, its very small. any thoughts or comments anyone? The wheel is very wobbly, again worn out??
Ah, we've had that one recently:
It's used by undoing and REMOVING the nut completely, putting the bolt though the slot in the iron, then putting the nut back on. The gauge is used to set the position of the guide on the iron.

It's a pain, and only usable with Bailey irons.

Last is this odd chuck thingy! Beautifully made obviously by hand, about 6" long overall and 2" wide at the business end.
Inscribed: 'Pat'd Dec 24th 1872 A.F Gushman Maker Hartford Conn'
Again anyone have any comments /info.
DATAMP comes up dry on that one, but you could try searching through all the patents for that date at the US Patent Office site and see if you can find it. May take a while, but it can be done.

Funny, this morning there were no less than three hand-cranked grinders at one - small - car boot sale, 'Strodinary. Being an silly person I bought the one that takes a 5" wheel while the other two were 6", but it was a 'Murican one which I don't usually see, so... Hmm, I hope I'm not turning into a collector... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Hi mahking51,

Going by the honing guide, thats the guy I was looking for in Bridgemary this week with the 077A plane that I was after.

Gary.

Back