This must be a leg pull...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this that nutcase that joined the forum for a couple of days, spouting rubbish and then abruptly left!

edit: yes it is, I remember the awards. in that case, it will be deadly serious.

From the video: "All it needs is a sheet of mdf pinned to it".

This will make my woodwork so much better - a professional bench will create professional work. What could possibly go wrong? I always watch videos with the sound off and subtitles - I recommend it in this case, as it makes much more sense that way.

Fairly obviously he is very skilful, but I would be embarrassed to be offering that for sale as a benchtop, and the frame that he was proposing somebody could make to go underneath it was really pathetic.

Hmmm.....
Not really a lot to say, is there?
I did like the bit about it only needing a bit of 3mm mdf being pinned to it.
Somebody either with a wicked sense of humour, or a nut job :unsure:

People trade on their name it’s everywhere in society, you only have to read the forum to realise how enamoured folks are with their favourite Woodworking guru.
No doubt Jeremy is hoping one of his followers will want to own the bench top he made some of his work on & will part with their cash to be able to tell anyone who will listen just that.
Is it sad? No sadder than folks queuing up to get a book signed or buying personal memorabilia. Then again if you get it authenticated by him it could well be worth a fortune once he’s shuffled off, could be a good investment :unsure: 😳 😄

I’ve just had a look at his YouTube channel ... a bit quirky but interesting also and a reminder that woodworking is a broad church!

I don’t think that this is crazy; the bench top is a ‘wear item’ like brake discs or saw blades that have a working life that is longer or shorter depending on the type of work/abuse that they receive.

So ‘any offers’ for some solid planks for a bench top seems reasonable to me. If I was near Bristol and building a bench, then offering 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of new seems sensible to me. He does open by saying that benches don’t need to cost thousands, so he can’t be expecting the new owner to be paying over the top for it.

The ‘3 mm mdf’ thing may not be for structural reasons. I have a few pieces of thin, cheap plywood or mdf that I put on top of my benches when painting something, but then remove again when putting a work piece on there that I don’t want to get dried paint on. That might simply have been some sound advice.

If you watch some of his videos and read a bit of what he writes it's quite clear he believes he's the most innovative woodworker in Britain (Despite not really having made anything of note for 20+ years) and of course, lest we forget, the self-proclaimed "Creative routing pioneer Jeremy Broun" wrote THE BOOK on routers, back in 1989. He had a video claiming he was a better cabinetmaker than Chippendale but that seems to have been removed now.

If you watch some of his videos and read a bit of what he writes it's quite clear he believes he's the most innovative woodworker in Britain (Despite not really having made anything of note for 20+ years) and of course, lest we forget, the self-proclaimed "Creative routing pioneer Jeremy Broun" wrote THE BOOK on routers, back in 1989. He had a video claiming he was a better cabinetmaker than Chippendale but that seems to have been removed now.

From memory he absolutely believes that he is the most innovative woodworker in the country. I remember the Chippendale video too, although not the details.

WRT his promotion of an Alan Peters award, that rung a bell with me. Wasn't there such a thing at Celebration of Craftsmanship? Looking back at my collection of past exhibition catalogues ~ Yes, for 5 years from 2013 they ran the ALAN PETERS AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE
He seems to have got Axminster on board for this one.
Brian

My bench is 22 mm chipboard on a 1" square metal tube frame bolted to the wall. It has a renewable top also. :oops:
There is a layer of 22 mm T&G pine on top, and when it gets covered in paint and glue or dug into with a drill bit I just get the electric planer out and take the top 2 mm off.
Once the T&G is all planed away, that can be replaced for a tenner.
He's right, benches dont need to be expensive:cool:

Well, I've put my bid in and I'm so confident of getting it I've already set off on the 2500 mile return journey.

I've outbid you already. Tuppence ha'penny.
This one's available if you miss out with your bid

bench.jpg

Beware - vice not included
Brian

Latest posts

Back