This is where everyone is hiding out.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Blimey, I wondered where everyone [you know who you are :D ] was hiding so thanks to our friend who pointed us in this direction.

No particular point to the point as such other than saying hello. Some of you will recognise me I'm sure :)

Just finishing a a couple of small shelves in oak and walnut - had to borrow a spokeshave :shock: as I couldn't find a tailed tool that could cut it.

I don't know will be dragging me knuckles on the ground before I know it at this rate.

Am (finally) hoping to get me new TS in the next month or two when my bonus arrives (which should be shortly!!). Then I can make loads of stuff. Have been planning a dust-extractor "outhouse" as I haven't space in my workshop, but thats a different story.

laters,

A_L

I'm not hiding, honest.

But when most of the interesting peeps went missing from you know where, I felt berefted.

Bare-pineappled no longer — for you mostly seem to be here.

I think that I'll curl-up for a moment or two, with my toes in the air...

--
batty.

hello its me frank i found you at last its cold out side but nice and warm in here ..

Cor, Hello Frank et al.

Thats two forums I have to check each day now :cry: or is that a :D

Anyway I thought that spokeshave reference would have de-lurked the dark one, but perhaps she hasn't logged on yet? :wink:

As for TS, Im looking at either a Scheppah or other in the £1K to £2K range, probably £1K as I don't think I could justify the extra in many circumstances......

I'll have to collapse a workbench to fit it in the workshop, and also hang more things on the walls to give me some extra space. What I really need to do is move house and build a new workshop! :shock:

Although I would take my current one with me as I built that also. :roll:

ANyway laters all.
A_L

Now this is difficult to say without sounding hopelessly egotistical :oops: , but what the heck. S'not meant to be so, if that helps:

Having glanced over at another well-known forum in this vicinity my suspicions are raised. Lookee here peeps, I hope you're not suddenly all over here on my account? :? 'Cos if so, and the level of traffic at The Other Place drops off apparently in consequence, then I shall be honour-bound to stop posting here too (and Charley will have to stop rubbing his hands in glee like Arkwright in Open All Hours :wink: ) Not that it ain't nice to have one's ego inflated in this charming way, it's just after a solid year of effort I will not be best pleased to see The Other Place go belly up just 'cos you lot can't manage to talk amongst yourselves without someone to remind you how to do it. :p For heaven's sakes, I even hear the chat room has been an aching void for the last month! C'mon you lot, pull your respective fingers out.

Having said all that, of course contribute here too. Charley's put a lot of work into his site, and it deserves all our support. Just don't treat it as an "instead of" but as an "as well" okay? Anyway, I'm shocked that so many of you weren't already frequenters of this forum. Don't you ever look at the Links pages?! :evil:

Rant over. 8)

Cheers, Jester

P.S. Adam, I actually failed to spot the shave reference to my shame. I was probably wiping away a tear at the time... Borrowed one though eh? Tsk. Some passing bat might feel obliged to try and do something about that... :wink:

P.P.S. Charley, makes you spit eh? All that #coughing# in the past, and still some people didn't know you were here. :roll:

lol Jester, I don't know what you mean. I'm not as bad as ArrArkwright I-I-I dondon't stand outside the website and pull people in, I only #coough# now and then :wink:

And here's me thinking all the new members showed up as they thought UKW was useful but no it's because Jesters here :p I see I'm going to have to mention Jester if I ever cough on another forum in future :wink:

But I agree with Jester - don't use the UKW forum as a "instead of" but as an "as well as" :) or maybe I can have a word with John and AG and see if we can join groups and make the biggest UK woodworking forum on the net :wink:

Hey I've been busy doing other stuff, and haven't had time for much posting recently. I do have a digital camera now which should make it a bit easier, I did notice the other forum was quiet, but didn't have anything to add, - I do keep checking post to see if I can reply to anything. Besides I might not have registered, but I have been here before on quite a few occasions just never to post :oops:

Anyway BOT, the spoke shave was borrowed, 'cos i have yet to find one at the car boot worth buying. Did get a dial indicator last week for £3 which was a pretty good buy, and despite not normally buying power tools becuase of the wish not to support the market for stolen goods, bought a Hitachi Planer (rrp £150) for £12, which has some serious damage where the guy ran it through a serious screw, and wiped out 1 blade, and a good portion of the rotating barrel. I'm taking a risk that its unbalanced, and if it is, I may use some chemical metal to try and counterbalance it a bit. Either way, he seemed up to speed on it's history, and the problem and I decided it was kosher, so paid the $$$. Must get down to Ascot as this is CBS tool capital I'm told.

Besides, I know that Jester also posts to www.communityzero.com/woodrat so this is only 1 additional forum to add to the ones I normally check.

Laters,

A_L

Charley, you must be close if you're West Sussex? I did manage my visit to Brendan Devitt-Spooners workshop earlier this year - like you Jester, I found he had stacks of wood ready to process and use himself - no handy local supplier that is cheap and good unfortunately? Who do you use Charley?

A_L

I get all my wood from WenBan Smith timber merchant in Worthing but I only get my hardwood from their offcut section. Depending who's on at the desk and if it's been filled up recently you can get some real bargains :D

Sorry Adam, I wasn't trying to point fingers at anyone. Just seems a shame it has all gone so quiet over there.

Dial indicator for £3? Sheesh, I'm looking in the wrong places again... :roll: Is the Hitachi a reasonably recent model? If it is I'd be tempted to look into the price of a replacement cutter block. I dunno how fast those things spin, but I wouldn't fancy taking a chance myself. :shock: But then I'm a coward, as I freely admit. :wink:

Cheers, Jester

These car-boots require a lot of effort - it you multiply my time and petrol, I'd be better off buying everything from Ray Illes and spending the woodworking. I find however, the CBS are good recovery time from the night before, and you don't chop off any limbs whilst you wake up fully. (I could apply this logic to driving there and back but I'll ignore that ;-)

Hmm, I only get a bargain once a month or so, max visits per month = 2 probably. Often less than that. I don't buy any tat whatsoever, so often come home empty handed.

A_L

...and yes the Hitachi is a decent model so I could get a new cutter block but to be honest, if I get a file to it, I reckon it'll clean up nicely, it needs a new drive belt also [I think], as I can see that whatever it got driven into, halted the blades immediately as the second blade on the opposite side of the cutter block has no damage whatsoever. SO it must have stalled pretty quickly. I need to whip the covers off and see what condition everything looks like inside it......

Another job to add to the list....

A_L

Hi all
good to see some old faces again.
as yor say things changed, but I have been on this site for some time don`t usualy bother to log in but look in most nights along with some others, so glad you are all here as well.
Regards
Norman : :D

Another CBS purchase, Veneer hammer £2!

A_L

Another CBS purchase, Veneer hammer £2!

Ooooh :D ! This is getting exciting! What veneering are you going to do? Have you ever used traditional methods before?

Gill

I've done a "bit" of veneering. I always use PVA, and have veneered various woodtypes.

I don't own a press, so have always used large amounts of heavy books. I have a thick plywood board I put over the veneer seperated by "cling-film" to stop any glue getting through onto the plywood and causing disasters.

I also veneered all the squares on a chess table I made.

You can see some of my stuff on msn groups ukwoodworking. In the albums, I'm about 3 or 4th page in, and I have about 60 photos in there, of which some show the veneer on the chess table.

I use a regular scalpel blade to trim most of the veneers.

A_L.

Are you into veneering stuff Gill? It makes MDF have a nice surface before scroll sawing If you veneer it before cutting starts.

PS: have you tried www.google.com then click images (from images, news, groups etc) then type in your search requirements for images?

asleitch":1hsnjmzq said:
Are you into veneering stuff Gill?

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Is Jester a Galoot? :)

Mostly marquetry on my part, although I haven't done any for a while now. Fretwork is more fun.

Yours

Gill

PS Thanks for the tips :wink:

There was me wanting to stick me 'oar in on another post, and it's only gone and been locked????? Whats that all about, can't we have a good bit of mud-slinging without some bystanders looking on and chipping in irrelevant and unhelpful comments...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Has it made me reconsider my decision to buy a scheppah Table Saw? well no actually, although I'll be dealing direct so I have a point of contact I can get on the phone. But whether NMA is posting on behalf of himself or on behalf of his company, it appears to reflect company policy. The tips on checking the packing were useful, the attack on J.....well less than professional. Honestly Jester, you must have dropped in at exactly the wrong moment! Man_atNMA, keep the Jester references out of your posts. It simply better to keep you posts strictly on topic, and without any politics at all.

You just can't escape eh Jester?!!! LOL, honestly, if I didn't know how upsetting it could be you could actualy imagine it was comical.

<slowly removing oar and running for cover>

A_L

Back