This is not woodworking!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogxwhit

Established Member
Reaction score
Not woodworking, but it relates to having tools and machines and how we deal with them. I wanted to cut into a slate floor indoors ...

grinder-1.jpg
grinder-2.jpg
grinder-3.jpg
grinder-5.jpg

I avoided the labour of adding a brush skirt, but the hood as shown reduced the dust emission from 100% to about 10%. A huge difference. The vac is tool-activated & has a fine filter. Bits of metal and screws from the scrap box, and a piece of clear polycarbonate.

Last edited:
Last time I cut stone I just kept it damp with someone armed with a spray, but the tool was also 110 , would not suggest this with a 230 machine.

Best bet would have been to use a wall chaser, already has the shield and attachment for vacuum. Also keeps the blade at right angles, and allows an accurate control of depth, assuming that's what you want. But not a bad solution from what you had lying around.

I worked for a tile contractor when I was 18. We installed a lot of outdoor slate and flagstone, and we used a continuous diamond wheel and a grout sponge if we had to cut inside. It obviously has the side effect of dropping the dust as a sludge that you have to wipe away, but there is zero airborne dust and the sponge is only lightly held against the wheel, so the sponge doesn't suffer either.

By wet sponge, I mean like there's a small amount of water being applied to the tool, not the kind of quantity that would leave a lot of standing water on the floor, nor create an electrical issue.

I worked for a tile contractor when I was 18. We installed a lot of outdoor slate and flagstone, and we used a continuous diamond wheel and a grout sponge if we had to cut inside. It obviously has the side effect of dropping the dust as a sludge that you have to wipe away, but there is zero airborne dust and the sponge is only lightly held against the wheel, so the sponge doesn't suffer either.

By wet sponge, I mean like there's a small amount of water being applied to the tool, not the kind of quantity that would leave a lot of standing water on the floor, nor create an electrical issue.
Thats a neat idea, thanks.
Steve.

Back