this is all your fault...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gog64

Established Member
Reaction score
wood shavings.jpg

I'm having far too much fun "making" things for people on my little lathe instead of making things that people actually pay me for! Witness my largest bowl to date in a nice chunk of walnut, part of a big chunk of wood I've had seasoning in the barn for a few years. Too thick really for furniture, but it's a lovely bit of wood. I got to try out the rotating head as the blank was too big to fit over the bed until I'd got it round. It did make the lathe hop about a bit on anything except the slowest speed! My wife doesn't yet realise that her kindness in buying me a lathe has resulted in her getting yet another bowl for Christmas.

I blame my current idleness and addiction to making piles of wood shavings on you lot!

Attachments

• wood shavings.jpg
    wood shavings.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 469
gog64":3qihoeeu said:
.. My wife doesn't yet realise that her kindness in buying me a lathe has resulted in her getting yet another bowl for Christmas.!
She'll come to accept it as inevitable after about 8 years, and not just for Christmas. :lol:

gog64":qckfxeau said:

I'm having far too much fun "making" things for people on my little lathe instead of making things that people actually pay me for! Witness my largest bowl to date in a nice chunk of walnut, part of a big chunk of wood I've had seasoning in the barn for a few years. Too thick really for furniture, but it's a lovely bit of wood. I got to try out the rotating head as the blank was too big to fit over the bed until I'd got it round. It did make the lathe hop about a bit on anything except the slowest speed! My wife doesn't yet realise that her kindness in buying me a lathe has resulted in her getting yet another bowl for Christmas.

I blame my current idleness and addiction to making piles of wood shavings on you lot!

This is precisely why I don't get my lathe up and running - I have a fear that it will be addictive, and all-consuming. Someone very kindly gave me a Clarke lathe (putting the words "Clarke" and "lathe" together is possibly an oxymoron, I know),but it needs a new belt. £3.00 and I could be turning...

...but could I ever stop?

Well I've been inspired by some of the pics shared on this sub-forum, so thought I'd share the finished bowl that was on the lathe in the first picture. Many years ago I realised that "workmanlike" described my efforts in life and "artistic" did not. So, this is a 14" wide 4" deep bowl made of English walnut. Fruit fit in it and it doesn't wobble. Nature did all the rest and as usual did a bang up job!

For comparison, the rest of the chunk of walnut to the left.

bowl finished.jpg

Attachments

• bowl finished.jpg
    bowl finished.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 297
Well done! I too consider myself not too artistic, I like to think the things I make look good and have a function other than collecting dust. I have found that many recipients agree that the wooden objects are actually beautiful and functional.

Back