This chap that I know needs your help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A chap that I know, does a bit of woodwork, takes a few photo's, and dowloads then into "My Photo's" in his computor. He would like to send one to this forum, but that is where the trouble starts. He's looked at the replys given to Scott from JasonB and Adam and rekons those formula are the destruction codes for a Saturn rocket. I wonder, sorry He wonders, whether someone could explain click by click how to send a photo after clicking New Topic, and I, sorry he really does mean click by click. See he's only just had this computor, and how do you say it, he's not computor literate yet, possibly not literate at all. But he does really need some help

Heres Hoping Alan.

Hi Alan

Firstly, it needs to be on a server that is always connected to the internet. Your isp maybe. No, strike that, your friend's isp.

If that is not possible, I'll load it up for you. Just send me a pm with your email address.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Allan,

Strikes me your friend is trying to run before he can walk if he is a new computer owner.

Some of these things can take months of learning if new to the world of
it

Alan,

Can I check what I think you are asking - that "it'd be nice if you could start a post, and click a "magic" button, which allowed you to point to a photo in your "my photos" directory, then continue your post, and after hitting submit - it all automatically does its thing in the background and appears on here?"

I agree, the above would be ideal, but the whole process is limited by one major hurdle. A photo on your computer is no good in a post, as, as soon as you switch your PC off for the day - noone else can see it. The major hurdle for any member, is to get that photo from your computer (which is turned off after each use) to a computer which is on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

That step (or giant hurdle!) requires setting up an account on a "24/7" computer, than getting a unique address for each photo you have uploaded, which you add to posts, and hence allows all the computers of all the users here to fetch the photo (from that unique address) and display it in their browser windows as they read a post.

Breaking down the problem a little further, their are two parts, firstly getting those pictures onto the internet (the 24/7 computer) and secondly, once they are on the internet, getting that unique address into the post (so everyone can see them). I'd suggest we do just one at a time. If you email the pictures, to Newbie_Neil, or me, we'll get them "on-the-internet", and then we'll show you the magic words to put in a post to make them appear!

If at a later date you want some help getting those pictures "on-the-internet" we'll help there too. I reckon the first part is a good step if its all a bit overwhelming.

I apologise if thats not what you were asking, but I hope it helps. If you need help on emailing the photos, just shout and ask Neil, or me, by private mesage, or cliking the "email" button in our profiles.

Adam

Just ask for help - their are plenty of people here who can assist, I know I rang someone here and helped them on this very same issue last year, as it was difficult to explain by email. Just explain what you want (or your friend :eek: ) and we'll get you sorted. :p 8)

"I know I rang someone here and helped them on this very same issue last year"
Yes, that was my friend and he was very grateful.

Noel

devonwoody":5152yuth said:
Hi Allan,

Strikes me your friend is trying to run before he can walk if he is a new computer owner.

Some of these things can take months of learning if new to the world of
it

I think you are quite right with your observation, my friend and I will now retire to the workshop and make something we both know how to use like a Gallows. Thank everyone for the information, I have printed it out and will now study it at length
Thanks again Alan.

40883003.jpg

Hi Alan

If you want talking through the process of getting your pics onto an image hosting site and linking to them in your posts just post here or send me a pm.

Jason

Hi neil, can't thank you enough for your help. The answer to your question is I made it all on my own while my friend was faffing with his computor. Thanks again Alan. :D

Very nice, and well done on getting the pictures sorted!

Adam

Alan

I could be wrong here but when I type in the URL directly into the browser it asks me for a username and password. Therefore I don't think that this site will let you do what you want.

Open to someone telling me I'm talking tosh.

Who is your ISP? Many of them offer a website as part of your account.

Roger

Alan if you right click on properties on your earlier picture, you'll see JPG at the end of the URL. Assuming all else is in order that's why it did not appear.

Noel

Latest posts

Back