This bit of timber was bent, split and rotted....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another bit of leylandii

Leyland leaf bowl-03.JPG
Leyland leaf bowl-02.JPG

I thought that a leylandii maple leaf would be a bit different.

Our neighbour had some light pruning done on their cherry tree. Guess who got some bits?

cherry prunings.JPG

Out with my wax saucepan and little burner time and I will have some green turning too me-thinks.

Another bit of leylandii
Our neighbour had some light pruning done on their cherry tree. Guess who got some bits?
Out with my wax saucepan and little burner time and I will have some green turning too me-thinks.
You are right.... leylandii does look good in the right place. I am beginning to look at leylandii in a different light. Still feel that it should be harvested, but reviewing my disposal methods.

As for the cherry - lucky man. I am starting to get more serious about carving and eying up the winter wood-pile. One of our neighbours is going to have their tree-of-heaven taken down due to disease. I wonder what that timber is like...

Another bit of leylandii

View attachment 122556View attachment 122557

View attachment 122558

That's beautiful, watch out for warping on the green cherry, I turned a couple of small bowls in cherry a month after it was felled and they warped and split to the point of being good for nothing but the fire pit.

One of our neighbours is going to have their tree-of-heaven taken down due to disease. I wonder what that timber is like...

If you look up Ailanthus altissima it appears it is prone to a lot of movement whilst drying and can cause contact dermatitis. I think it is in the same family as Sumac, the sap of which can cause severe blisters and photosensitivity (speaking from experience there)

That's beautiful, watch out for warping on the green cherry, I turned a couple of small bowls in cherry a month after it was felled and they warped and split to the point of being good for nothing but the fire pit.

Warp? What's that? This was a fresh cut bit of rhododendron and as well as getting a shower when I turned it I now have a pear shaped bowl that I have had to refuse to sell because SWMBO will not part with it. I love it too !

IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3284.JPG

Well, it used to be round :rolleyes:

Warp? What's that? This was a fresh cut bit of rhododendron and as well as getting a shower when I turned it I now have a pear shaped bowl that I have had to refuse to sell because SWMBO will not part with it. I love it too !

View attachment 122661View attachment 122662

Well, it used to be round :rolleyes:
My other half is the same, the two little dishes/pots that have gone the way of the banana in my eyes are only good for the fire pit but she wants to keep them, I feel like a toddler coming home with a cr@p picture forum to put on the fridge for everyone to see.

Latest posts

Back