This bit of timber was bent, split and rotted....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
I almost didnt use it - but it is almost my last piece from a source I can no longer access. I thought 'might as well - dont want to waste it'.
I dug out the rot, filled the cracks with milliput, and spent a bit of time tidying it up. The shaft is a little bent - but not too much so. I kept some curvature to keep some of the sapwood for contrast.
log.JPG

back.jpg
front.jpg
shaft.jpg

Thanks kinverkid appreciate the kind words, but no, not hawthorn.

Should I let folks guess a while?
The timber is its natural colour - it has not been stained. Scraped, sanded and lightly waxed (colourless wax).

I carved a stick in hawthorn some time ago and it is a lot whiter with far less visible grain. Though spalting could make a difference I guess.

Spoiler alert - answer below

it is indeed yew. The lower part of the stick shows more traditional colour. The upper part - especially the wings - are heavily darkened by mould.

Crumbs that's amazing!

Out of interest do you have an idea of what you want to carve or does the wood 'talk to you' as it were, and you can see that shape/design within the wood?

I know what I want to carve. The wood often has other ideas. We argue. I have hammers and axes, the wood has grain, knots, splits, and rot.

Like this carving - I wanted a raven. I didn't get one. I got a bird at least, and thank god its not a pigeon.

Thanks all for your kind words.
I am slowly improving my skills - not least as a consequence of help from this forum.
This stick was the first time that I used a hewing axe, and the first time I used scrapers.
Phill

I'll never be tired of seeing just what is hiding in what looks like not very good fitewood Phill. You have done a lovely job on your carving mate

As someone said, it's not a skill I have, but I wish I did when I see things like your bird!

Bits like this

web Russian olive.jpg

Hide

IMG_3335.JPG

I wish I had the patience to learn to carve.

Edit : - I nearly forgot to say. Yew is one of my favourite woods. Along with leylandii, as long as it's not still growing!

T
I'll never be tired of seeing just what is hiding in what looks like not very good fitewood Phill. You have done a lovely job on your carving mate

As someone said, it's not a skill I have, but I wish I did when I see things like your bird!

Bits like this

View attachment 121807

Hide

View attachment 121808

Edit : - I nearly forgot to say. Yew is one of my favourite woods. Along with leylandii, as long as it's not still growing!
That peice really did require skill and vision. Lovely. Not the sort of thing that I would attempt - I use hand tools almost entirely these days and that would call for a lathe. And accuracy.

Does leylandii have nice grain? Maybe I will keep my eyes open for some..... I have met some candidate donor trees in my life ;).

Bits like this

View attachment 121807

Hide

View attachment 121808

My immediate impression of the top photo was of Tnoy Hancocks “Esmerelda” statue,,,I guess thats what I would have ended up with!
Lovely carvings though.
Steve.

Does leylandii have nice grain? Maybe I will keep my eyes open for some..... I have met some candidate donor trees in my life ;).

Very dry and leylandii turns well, has a lovely grain and takes a lovely finish. This is one that I had a hell of a job finding the photo , but I will keep on looking as I know I have more!

Leyland  bowl-02 A.jpg

I really like the wanie edge on this one. It's definately the best use that I have found for leylandii !

Back