This afternoons 'work' :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
An egg cup! :)

Attachments

• 13205916871250.jpg
    13205916871250.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 941
  • 13205917046541.jpg
    13205917046541.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 941
  • 13205923631792.jpg
    13205923631792.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 940
I made the grooves with the edge of my skew chisel, however what's the best way to burn the bottom of the grooves to blacken the lines?

L2wis":16ykltcg said:
I made the grooves with the edge of my skew chisel, however what's the best way to burn the bottom of the grooves to blacken the lines?

i use a guitar string between 2 wooden handles- like a big cheese wire or garotte.
you still need to make the groove with the skew, stops the wire from wandering, and apply pressure til it starts smoking.
and like blister says ' it gets hot' so mind where you put the wire down! :shock:

nev":2si6y5k9 said:
..... Between 2 wooden handles- like a big cheese wire or garotte.
That's the most important bit, never try to hold the wire in your bare hands, , wire cuts fingers off quicker than it burns wood.

When I left the R.A.F. in 1974 ( :shock: ) I 'aquired' a LOAD of aircraft locking wire. I still have loads and I have a 2 foot length between 2 small handles and that does a lovely job!

Correct Chas! Never ever hold the wire in your bare hands unless you want a very severe manicure across the knuckles!

Nice little egg cup Lewis. As Nev said the biggest difficulty is to make a set of 4, all the same :shock: :shock:

Somewhat easier to match if you make them smaller.
egg-cups.jpg

Attachments

• egg-cups.jpg
    egg-cups.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 843
Jonzjob":39mcs8ek said:
Na Lewis! What you need is a set like this

Not so easy to clean? If I remember correctly :twisted: :twisted: But???

now now - they got my (irrelevant) vote.... =D>

nev":38dfdjsg said:
and like blister says ' it gets hot' so mind where you put the wire down! :shock:

Yere
And whatever you do dont let the red hot piece of wire get stuck between your fingers (homer)

(It bloody hurts)

Adidat

L2wis":21fcqvcj said:
Thanks :) yeah I can imagine it would be very difficult to make a set!
Best to make yourself some templates to aid easy transfer of dimensions.
As you gain experience you may just get away with a straight stick or card marked along its length with the aiming points. Then using a parting tool take any waisted areas down near the finished diameters, it's then a case of 'joining up the dots' so to speak and reduces the whole turning to shorter sections which are easier to blend to shape.

You might find it easier to make a card template of the shape you want to check the blends so that you can hold it against your turning to check for material removal.

One way I make templates if I have a finished item to copy is to scan it and print out onto card.

Chas is the one on the far left tulip? I like the grain on it. In fact wasn't nev asking about nice native woods for pens? Tulipwood might turn out well.

drillbit":29yf61ww said:
Chas is the one on the far left tulip? I like the grain on it. In fact wasn't nev asking about nice native woods for pens? Tulipwood might turn out well.
All the pale ones are Beech db.

Back