thinking of starting pen turning, advice needed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp diver

Established Member
Reaction score
as above, due to the large amount of pen blanks i have (even though i do not use them for pens) i have some that are not right to use for my other purpose so rather than have them sat i am thinking of using them up making a few pens for family and friends.

what i am looking for is a starter pen turning set that i can use to make one or two different pen sizes/ types from, nothing too fancy or expensive and i certainly dont need any blanks with it lol.

can any one who does pen turning point me in the right direction of such a kit and what i would require to make them?

also this may be a dumb questions but i have looked at a few pen mandrels and they seem to come in MT1 or MT2 size, does the morse taper end fit in the head or tail stock, as my head stock thread and hole is quite large and certainly a lot bigger than a MT 2, my tail stock is MT1 but not my head stock.

A parralel mandrel for use in a chuck will let you solve the morse taper problem
You will need at least a roughing gouge,sandpaper,a type of finish(i use friction polish),a way to drill your blanks and a way to square the blanks(pillar drill and disc sander?)
And then youll need your appropiate pen kit,id try slimlines first

can the parallel mandrel be bought in a kit like the morse taper ones can ? as for pillar drill or disc sander no hope as yet lol is there not another way of squaring the blanks up?

by slim line pens i presume you mean the 7mm ones?

A pen end mill will square the blanks,im not sure about the kit,i got a parallel mandrel from axminster and tend not to buy kits as there is always something you dont need
And yes,7mm slimlines are usually 2 simple tubes,Sierras are also simple(1 tube but cigar shaped)
Make sure you buy the correct bushings
If you dont have a pillar drill,a pen chuck can be purchased(or jaws for your existing chuck) and a jacobs chuck for your tailstock with a taper and correct sized drill bit(6.9mm or 7mm)

mattyts":33dnda35 said:
A pen end mill will square the blanks,im not sure about the kit,i got a parallel mandrel from axminster and tend not to buy kits as there is always something you dont need
And yes,7mm slimlines are usually 2 simple tubes,Sierras are also simple(1 tube but cigar shaped)
Make sure you buy the correct bushings
If you dont have a pillar drill,a pen chuck can be purchased(or jaws for your existing chuck) and a jacobs chuck for your tailstock with a taper and correct sized drill bit(6.9mm or 7mm)

ah now finally that is some thing i do have lol i have 4 different size jacobs chucks on a MT 1 for my tail stock , looks like i am going to be on the hunt for another bloody chuck for my lathe then lol, unless there is some jaws that fits the nova chuck that does the same job?

Hi, I've really got into pen turning & had loads of help from the guys on here. Initially I didn't know where to start but took the plunge with a deluxe starter kit from Turners Retreat. Personally, I have used everything in it to death but I can see why others think that perhaps you may not require some of the stuff if you already have such items ( I got 5 free pen blanks so by the sounds of it you don't need those!, lol). It wasn't cheap but add them all up individually & it made sense to me!. Even if you don't buy the set, look it up anyway, online or if you have their catalogue & it will show you what you need. I love making the pens & have progressed onto fountain pens, keyrings & wine bottle stoppers using the same equipment & techniques, something I didn't envisage when I first got my lathe last November!.

Not much help I know but just thought I'd stick my tuppence worth in!!.

Al.

You say no chance of a disc sander yet. Why not get a piece of MDF and make a disc about 6" or 10" on your lathe. glue another disc to one side of it so you can mount it on a face plate or chuck. then glue a sanding disc to the other face. all you need then is to make a table that will rest on your lathe bed at right angles to your sanding face.

Hope this helps

Oh and make sure you wear a mask when turning MDF as the dust is dangerous

well after taking on some of the advice given and looking at what is out there at the moment i decided to place a order with Axminster yesterday, spent a good 1/2 hr on the phone with them checking the ins and outs of things. finally decided on there deluxe adjustable pen mandrel http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-de ... rod802501/ as not only can i use this for doing the pens with, the collet chuck it uses will be ideal for some of my other work later on with some extra jaws.
i also went for there universal pen barrel trimmer, as it will give me scope to do different pens at a later date should i wish to http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-un ... rod783389/
along with a few drill bits and a dozen or so different pen kits.
just got to hope to god the wife dont get to see the recipt or even the order when it comes or i am gonna be in trouble again lol especially as she knows i am on the hunt for a bench saw and pillar drill lol

Back