Thinking of Planer thicknesser purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hornbeam":dh1ygclw said:
.... In theory you dont have to do this with the sedgewick but if you have been thicknessing say 20mm material and then want to do some surfacing, you still have to wind the sedgewick thicknessed table down to get the dust collection chute in so I dont think the difference is as big a deal.
Ian

Hi Ian, I was wondering if you'd reached a decision.

I estimate that on the Hammer - starting from, say 20mm as in your example - you have to wind it down an extra 50mm.

I do know that some folk have modified their digital dial on the Hammer to take a 'power feed' from a battery drill.

Stu2fly":26jd82h2 said:
Hi everyone,
I’m new to woodworking and have no training so just learning as I go along. I have tended to just find old pallets, take them apart and turn them into shelves etc. I recently bought a P/T but it’s still in its box. I want it to tidy up the rough pallet wood. Fingers crossed it’s not too noisy.
It’s a Scheppach P/T.

Consider buying a metal detector as any metal left in your pallet wood will wreck the knives instantly.
See also the recent thread about poor finish from poor timber. Some of your wood might have to be attacked with a belt sander to avoid tearout.

robgul":3gpnilh9 said:
DBT85":3gpnilh9 said:
robgul":3gpnilh9 said:
Interesting stuff - I've just ordered a cheapo Aldi machine (rebadged Screwwix Titan ?) for £160 - my first foray into planers ..... I may regret it but there's 3 years to find out with the warranty/return policy! Reviews and Youtube videos suggest it's OK for the money, which I'm happy with. Mostly going to be used for recycling pallet wood and scaffold board type material for mainly "rustic" build projects.

Slightly worried about the noise issue but our neighbours are 15/20 yards away either side and out during the day when I'm not and will be using it.

Rob
It may well be the rebadged titan
It's all over Europe with different badges.

That's made it easy to find some good plans for a better fence if you want to make one.

Marius Hornberger did one, but this guy did one and has plans available do you can just print them out and cut around the templates.

https://youtu.be/zZnZVMIMhtw

Thanks for the tip-off. That looks brilliant (the guy is obviously a member of "Plywood Addicts Anonymous" given all the ply stuff in the film!)
My likeliehood of wanting to cut angles is minimal so I shall probably build the fence fixed at 90 degrees without the hinge/angle adjustment .... and perhaps make the part that holds it to the machine wider (i.e. longer along the bed) for even greater stability.

Rob
I'll probably just stick to the plans as I've not done anything like that before and it'll nark me off like you wouldn't believe if I build it all without it and it's not bloody square!

I'd add a Minimax Fs30 to your considerations, can be had with their version of helical head.
I have an A3-31 I bought last year mainly due to the numerous reviews and general info about them, it's a good machine for sure. The fence however isn't as good as it could be, having to pull forward to change modes isn't great and the whole assembly feels a bit flimsy.
I recently bought a Minimax table saw and am very happy with it, seems much more solid and simple than the Hammer gear. There doesn't seem to be as much info out there about these machines maybe because they are predominately for pros who just use them happily and don't comment on forums?

MikeG.":e47vk7jt said:
mr rusty":e47vk7jt said:
........... As a jointer.........

As a WHAT? In Chorley, they're planers. In America and Youtubeland, they're jointers. Carruthers, prepare the flogging tree........

To be honest, I'd almost be tempted to call a machine that's 6" and under a jointer... But that'd be plain wrong, it's a Jacker.

thanks to all. Have made the decision to go with the Hammer A3-31. Now that I am/will be skint, I will be trying to reclaim timber to use on the machine!

Perhaps searching Gumtree etc for solid wood kitchen tables would be a good place to source good hardwood?

Prizen":1c6t9uvh said:
thanks to all. Have made the decision to go with the Hammer A3-31. Now that I am/will be skint, I will be trying to reclaim timber to use on the machine!

Perhaps searching Gumtree etc for solid wood kitchen tables would be a good place to source good hardwood?

Not if they are from Oak Furniture Land :lol:

Don't forget the metal detector for hidden nails.

Hello Just a note to say I bought a Hammer A326 planer/thicknesser a few years ago and its a fabulous machine. They're a bit pricey but worth every penny. Before buying it I contacted Hammer and asked for a demonstration and they arranged a visit to see the machine owned by a hobbyist, like myself, who lived about 40 miles distance. A couple of years later they made a similar arrangement to demonstrate the K3 Winner table saw. The only recommendation i would make is get the measurement wheel accessory for the thicknesser feed. I.A.

Back