Thinking of new Disc Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lumberjack is more powerful 900w Vs 720w.

Cheaper too😃

motors will be the same - induction motors.

Cast iron table in the record not sure about the lumberjack? Alloy perhaps?

Lumberjack is more powerful 900w Vs 720w.

Cheaper too😃

motors will be the same - induction motors.

Thanks James for your thoughts. I like the idea of the cast iron table, but as you say the Record is a less powerful motor. But will that matter too much?

I got an axminster one years ago, they are more expensive. Wish I bought one or two maybe even three decades before. tempted just to buy the Record one now.

Claimed motor sizes arent always reliable. On alibaba, the sellers openly ask what size you want the motors listed as ( they supply say a 500w and will put a 750w sticker on it, no problem 😆 )
Im sure either would be fine

Thats what I thought. Usually if it was a cast table they'd be singing that loudly, but they only mention cast iron frame.

Just had a wee poke about and the table on the lumberjack is indeed aloy.
SIP do the exact same one, in fact they offer 2 and one states cast iron table, the other aluminimum table
Here
https://www.partsformachines.com/pr...MIhI7I6Or19gIVBOrtCh0osg3OEAQYAyABEgLKz_D_BwEcast
https://www.sip-group.com/store/category/211/product/01953.aspx

I am looking to buy a new disc sander without a belt.
Any reason why you don't want a belt?

I brought the SIP 4" x 8" Belt Disc Sander and it has been very useful even though I was looking for a bobbin sander at the time. Even though the disc is 8 inches, only 4 are usable due to direction and I keep a course paper on the disc and a fine belt.

That Record Power DS300 will be a super machine, especially with a 1 HP motor. I've had a home made 12" disc sander, Picador aluminium disc and a 1/4 HP ex washing machine number for about 46 years. Great but you have to allow it to cut slowly, The 1HP motor will eat the wood alive. This is the only pic I have for now, it's done some work over the years.

Attachments

• Disc Sander.png
    Disc Sander.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 38
I have the 12” lumberjack and can confirm the table is alloy, still weighs a tonne though.
Not really used it yet as I only bought it because it was £50 off on a show room display model and they are local so no postage.

I will say though the machine comes with a 60 sanding disc which I think may be too aggressive on a 900W machine so might get a 80 disc.

I have the Record DS300. It's a good machine with more than ample power. The cast iron table is accurately ground. By far and away the best feature is the dust extraction which works brilliantly. If you have used a disc sander withoit extraction you will immediately appreciate this feature.
whatever make you decide on make sure it has the standard 3/4 x 3/8 mitre slot so that you can fit an aftermarket mitre fence as always, the one supplied isn't great.
I hope this helps.

I'd be tempted to stick with the Axi, even though it is a little more expensive. Like the Record it has a rising 1/4 guard that the Lumberjack does not have.
I ordered 4 of the Axi sanders at the Secondary school where I taught Technology. Over the 6/8 years I used them we had no problems and the extraction on them was pretty good. I retired nearly 5 years ago and I believe they are still in use.
As mentioned above 60 grit is to abrasive. We used 80 grit which is what I also use at home.

Colin

Or if you have a lathe make up a sanding disc and table to go on the lathe and save on space and money. I use mine all the time (needed to do this as I am short of space in the shop)

I have the Axminster velcro disc sander which must be 20 years old. I certainly appreciate the velcro when it comes to changing the discs. Are they even available anymore ?
Being right handed, I also prefer the clockwise rotation - who decided that anitclockwise with the quadrant guard was the way to go !?
Lastly it's a machine that needs proper dust extraction or your workshop will resemble the Sahara in a storm.
They are fantastically useful machines - I only wish I had bought a larger model. :rolleyes:

Thanks all for your comments. Will probably go for the Record.
You may all know this but a tip for cleaning the sandpaper disk after use is to apply an artificial wine cork (not a cork one!) from wine bottles. It wears out quickly so wear gloves but it makes the disk very clean. I have a Record DS300 sander but I tend to use a cheap horizontal belt sander from eBay as it is not as aggressive to level up the bases of bowls if they are slightly out. I never put the disk attachment sander bit on as I have no use for it. I have a Triton TSPS450 oscillating spindle sander for sanding the insides of wood turned vases. They are the cheapest (£127.50 on eBay) but for occasional use it works very well. Another useful cordless power sanding tool is the Draper 99725 Storm force which is sold as a polisher kit but very useful for sanding out pesky end-grain and even catches which even the sharpest tool ignores on occasions. The advise on making your own sander is apposite and the cheapest method for sanding. You can buy self adhesive disks on eBay and Amazon and make up a plate bed with a piece of ply and broom handle to fit in the banjo, and the circular blank with a face-plate, either to fit in a the jaws of a chuck, or one with a thread to go on the head-stock spindle. Most sanding though is probably with small rectangular pieces of sanding paper which should be cleaned regularly with a small piece of carpet. I tend to sand from 40 grit in the extreme right up to 1000 grit at around 400 rpm. I often sand up to the point that the wood reflects light. It is all about personal preferences as one of my friends never goes above 400 grit. There are also turners who don't sand as they use a sharp scraper to do the work. So many ways to skin the cat!

You may all know this but a tip for cleaning the sandpaper disk after use is to apply an artificial wine cork (not a cork one!) from wine bottles. It wears out quickly so wear gloves but it makes the disk very clean. I have a Record DS300 sander but I tend to use a cheap horizontal belt sander from eBay as it is not as aggressive to level up the bases of bowls if they are slightly out. I never put the disk attachment sander bit on as I have no use for it. I have a Triton TSPS450 oscillating spindle sander for sanding the insides of wood turned vases. They are the cheapest (£127.50 on eBay) but for occasional use it works very well. Another useful cordless power sanding tool is the Draper 99725 Storm force which is sold as a polisher kit but very useful for sanding out pesky end-grain and even catches which even the sharpest tool ignores on occasions. The advise on making your own sander is apposite and the cheapest method for sanding. You can buy self adhesive disks on eBay and Amazon and make up a plate bed with a piece of ply and broom handle to fit in the banjo, and the circular blank with a face-plate, either to fit in a the jaws of a chuck, or one with a thread to go on the head-stock spindle. Most sanding though is probably with small rectangular pieces of sanding paper which should be cleaned regularly with a small piece of carpet. I tend to sand from 40 grit in the extreme right up to 1000 grit at around 400 rpm. I often sand up to the point that the wood reflects light. It is all about personal preferences as one of my friends never goes above 400 grit. There are also turners who don't sand as they use a sharp scraper to do the work. So many ways to skin the cat!
Obviously don't do after drinking said bottle of wine!🤣🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back