Thinking of buying a OX CNC kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one just before Christmas and I'm loving it so far. Nice and straightforward to build and so far has good accuracy. What CAD package are you planning to use with it?

Hi I looked at these and decided to go for the X Carve because of support and size. Since using it for over a month I use easel very little and mainly use F Engrave and Universal Gcode sender, the OX CNC is what I would go for if I wasn't a complete beginner. I also design mainly in Inkscape and export to F Engrave.

To be honest, I haven't thought much about the cad package. I was planning to call them to discuss this. I used to use Autocad some time back, I used to be employed by Christie Tyler and was responsible for tall their cad work, however, I am sure the programme as moved on a lot since then.

What cad package did you go with? Am I right in thinking you need a cad package and then a controller package?

Not looked at the X Carve system, but I don't think they go as big as 1.5m

I nearly got a c beam machine a while ago, but couldn't make space for it. I believe the c beam is more precise, albeit the basic model has a smaller footprint than the ox.

I've had a 1000 X 750mm Ooznest OX for about 18months.
I purchased it a primarily as electronics/computer project to learn about motor control and built my own controller, then a PID Speed Controller for the Katsu router I use as a spindle.

The Ooznest kit is excellent, everything is well labelled and great assembly instructions, and if you do run into any issues Ryan at Ozznest provides great support.

I'm really pleased with my machine, and use it more than I anticipated I would.

Re: CAD/CAM I used to use Sketchup with the SketchUcam addon, but have now gone over to the much more powerful Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for non-commercial use.

I will be watching this thread with great interest.I had a good look at the CNC machines at Newark and some impressed me more than others.If I progress along the path,I don't want a toy that slowly tickles a bit of dust of the workpiece and I don't want the cost of an industrial machine.The kit under discussion seems to fit between the two extremes.I have been looking at the various freeware CAD offerings and for 2D work I like the look of LibreCad and the Autocad people should take a look at Draft Sight which is very,very similar.I also checked Freecad and while it has a long and steep learning curve that I have yet to progress far along,it is a capable 3D parametric modeller and best of all the latest version has an integral machining module.So you can generate toolpaths for 3D objects.Something you can also do with Pycam if you have an .stl file of your object.

LancsRick":2wb869r8 said:
Which one did you go for gareth?

I went for the OX CNC Full Kit in size: 1500mm X 1000mm with router mount, router and dust shoe. did not order any software though

Quite excited now.

I have just bought the new 750mm X Carve (with ridgity improvements) from the US, which I brought back on the plane (minus the waste board).

I am about to start assembly. It would be interesting to hear your setup experiences on the OX CNC...

Well, arrived home yesterday to find the OX CNC waiting for me. Very excited. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 2,255
any update on the ox anyone as just doing research on it ..
what electric's have you installed eg controller ,drivers & power unit etc etc ???

Latest posts

Back