Things you don't see every day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a photo somewhere of a signpost in a french village that says "Complex Sportif". Below the signpost is a baby hippopotamus, with a camel behind it both grazing happily.

The French take their complex sports quite seriously, it would seem. Unfortunately it was pre-digital cameras, so the chances of finding the photo are pretty slim.

You are correct on their introduction at Stokenchurch and now luckily they flourish. I happen to be very fortunate to live near West Wycombe (so just down the road) and when I say they are local to our garden, I mean REALLY local . They soar above our house , our garden and the field behind us all day long and it is fantastic spectacle to watch . I must admit I have on the odd occasion shot rats in our garden (bloody vermin) and left the rat out on the shed roof. Lets just say they don't stay there for long :)

Driving over the Devil's Elbow to Braemar some years back and on the quite fast descent from the Glen Shee Ski Centre, a young red kite was feeding on road kill in the middle of the lane; realising rather late on that the monster approaching was bigger than itself, it flew up very late and literally popped up over the bonnet with all the control surfaces attempting to manage its flight and the rush of air it was in. Just a few milliseconds flash but stunning. We didn't hit it thank goodness.

This from last week. I think it’s a long tailed shrew:

7B701658-3E90-4C7C-9FFB-BDEA0C6232CC.jpeg

That gouge on my size 10 boot is the closest I’ve come to a chainsaw injury.

Back