Things I know today - that I didn't yesterday....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things I know today?

Well, I know it's Wednesday (or Thursday if you read this today or tomorrow)

I clearly, due to cabin fever, didn't know this yesterday (or today if you read this tomorrow)

Confused? Well, that's cabin fever for you!!

Phil

Steliz":3e2qdt9d said:
I read yesterday that the Cold War nuclear testing in the Pacific caused a spike in radio-active isotopes which left a marker on every living thing. If that wasn't interesting enough, measuring the degredation of the isotope has allowed researchers to discover how old Whale Sharks are and it is believed some live to around 150 years. This means that they have a fragile existence and are already on the endangered list and in South East Asia, where they are hunted for food, they have all but disappeared.
Yesterday, I did not know this.
God that's depressing.

Steliz":2ofk8wmq said:
I read yesterday that the Cold War nuclear testing in the Pacific caused a spike in radio-active isotopes which left a marker on every living thing. If that wasn't interesting enough, measuring the degredation of the isotope has allowed researchers to discover how old Whale Sharks are and it is believed some live to around 150 years. This means that they have a fragile existence and are already on the endangered list and in South East Asia, where they are hunted for food, they have all but disappeared.
Yesterday, I did not know this.

Chernobyl did much the same. Years afterwards I worked at Dounreay in north Scotland, several folks only ate (Poached) venison as their meat source, the deer obviously had been eating very slightly contaminated grass over the years . As a result the blokes had elevated levels of radioactivity that would register on our annual whole body scans. It was only very low level but the scan was ultra sensitive.
Until it dawned what the reason was, there was a bit of a panic that they had picked it up In the course of their work.

I have 60 eggs in my fridge, and another 30 on the counter. Does this make me a hoarder? I've run out of boxes to store the pasta (again, hoarding?), so it is now time to stop collecting eggs, and let the chickens make new chickens.

Something I didn't know until very recently - why fridge has a "d", but refrigerator doesn't. It may have been from something I read here, but memory fails me as to why I was investigating it. https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-a-d- ... or?share=1

It was on the third of April, apparently. I'm sure there was a good reason for finding out...

MikeG.":1lmbij49 said:
Chippyjoe":1lmbij49 said:
That Boris was born in America, didn't know that yesterday.

That mistake cost him hundreds of thousands of pounds in back taxes not long ago.

Well - not paying his taxes due to his dual nationality status, which I almost had myself, is what cost him. Pretty sure people don't get to choose where they are born :)

Didn't know London had a "Boll ocks Terrace" in Tooting, which I'm going to have to go see - but now I do thanks to BM101's link in another thread.

in dealing with data at work, we get a lot of individual information. It includes gender, but yesterday, I learned that this term can no longer be used. I suspect it was, because people were too polite to use the word "sex" - I'm indifferent about it either way, it's data.

But I learned now that if you ask people for gender and they have a certain set of biological parts, their answer can be correct without matching them.

I wonder if this is a new definition, or if gender has in fact, for decades been "how you feel at the time that you answer the question".

That using a breaker/jackhammer for over twelve hours is actually pretty hard work, and I've probably got another full day tommorow #-o

At least the neighbours and pretty much everyone in a three-mile radius will love me for all the noise I'm bringing to their currently more muted than normal lives :lol:

Joggers will pass by, nearly brushing your shoulder, and breathe heavily into your space.

Leisure cyclist will pass by within metre and say 'sorry'. And you are supposed to feel better because they have apologised.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Trevanion":2ck0ryjb said:
That using a breaker/jackhammer for over twelve hours is actually pretty hard work, and I've probably got another full day tommorow #-o

At least the neighbours and pretty much everyone in a three-mile radius will love me for all the noise I'm bringing to their currently more muted than normal lives :lol:
Take regular breaks! White finger even early stage symptoms are no fun. Protect yourself from 20 years down the line even it seems impossible right now. Straight up.
Best as always.

disco_monkey79":1vadc0a2 said:

The RAF did get briefly involved - they bombed the airfield with a Vulcan bomber.

On more than one occasion ! Everyone talks about Black Buck One but there were six other Black Buck missions of varying degrees of success. A brilliant operation by any stretch of the imagination.

Sharkey Ward's "opinions" on what happened in the Falklands are largely discredited by other Harrier pilots who were there too. The "natural competition" between RAF and RN pilots was more than a little exaggerated in Ward's case - it seems by the majority of post combat reports by both other RN and RAF pilots.

And without being partisan (I'm ex RAF, but not a pilot, and was already a civvy at the time of the Falklands war), the crews for the Harriers were drawn just as much from the RAF as from the RN - that MUST be so because the number of qualified RN pilots was MUCH smaller than the number of RAF pilots (unfortunately), and in addition, the majority of RN pilots were helicopter pilots at that time. Though the majority of RAF Harrier pilots were flying in the ground attack role, several RAF also flew the RN's Harrier "fighter" variant.

In addition, "the" Vulcan raid on the Falklands was more that a one off, there were several, although it was the first, Black Buck One which cratered the Falklands runway.

As an example of Ward's senseless partisanship RN v RAF, he claimed that Black Buck One resulted in only one 1,000 lb bomb (out of total 21) actually on the runway, (which is true). But his argument that this was a waste of time/resources completely ignores the fact that the result of that one bomb resulted in the Argentinians being unable to use the runway for their fast jets (A4s, Mirages, and Canberras) leaving only C130 Hercules and Pucaras able to land and take of there - they COULD have repaired the runway but never did, which was good for the end result as far as UK was concerned.

In addition, that one "successful" Vulcan Black Buck raid also involved I think 19 RAF Victor in flight refuelling tankers to get that one Vulcan there and back (to Ascension Island). And as said there were about 8 Vulcan Black Buck raids on the Falklands.

And almost finally re your "the RAF did get briefly involved" (what rot!), the "air bridge" between the UK and Ascension Island was performed solely by the RAF, using Hercules, VC-10s, and Tristars. That started before the naval task force arrived off the Falklands (in fact the RAF performed some drops of vital equipment AND personnel while the fleet was at sea on their way) and continued throughout the whole campaign plus long after the end.

And now finally, after the Argentinians surrendered, it was the RAF and Army who got the airfield back into full use again and the RAF which provided the F4 Phantoms to station a standing Combat Air Patrol and interception jet fighter force on the airfield.

Unlike "Sharkey" Ward, I and many of my ex-RAF colleagues have/had the greatest respect for out RN colleagues (even though we all pulled each others' legs on more than on occasion) but as said above, to say that the RAF played only a limited role is complete nonsense and re-quotes a largely discredited version of the conflict - discredited by the majority of those who were there. I wasn't thank goodness.

But by all means continue to enjoy Ward's version of "Biggles Wins Again" (it's a good book) but don't quote it as being anything like true - it isn't - or more accurately said, it is hopelessly one-sided.

Latest posts

Back