Things I know today - that I didn't yesterday....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":xnjsxaos said:
1) Self-levelling compound doesn't

Anyone else care to contribute ? :D

It does if you buy the right gear. F Ball Stopgap 300 is what you need (with a spikey roller)!

And an email telling me that from some of the vinyl LP's that I gave to SaveTheChildren charity a few months back, they've generated £98.33 + £24.58 Gift Aid. Dead chuffed.

RogerS":1lri4ju5 said:
And an email telling me that from some of the vinyl LP's that I gave to SaveTheChildren charity a few months back, they've generated £98.33 + £24.58 Gift Aid. Dead chuffed.

It's nice to get some feedback :D

RogerS":1kh3fyh2 said:

It always surprises me when I get these emails. A bag of old kids clothes. Reasonable condition but nothing flash and you get an email saying £60 plus gift aid. Well done them because I wouldn't have been able to sell them for a tenner on eBay/Facebook etc.

Eric The Viking":3b0ggckl said:
Chickens only lay eggs once every six months.

Today I had to unlearn everything I knew about chickens after living on two chicken farms and having friends in the industry. They lied to me telling me the bird lays an egg every 30 hours or so for a year before they replace them. I wonder how they stay in business housing and feeding the birds for just a few eggs a year?

Pete

I read yesterday that the Cold War nuclear testing in the Pacific caused a spike in radio-active isotopes which left a marker on every living thing. If that wasn't interesting enough, measuring the degredation of the isotope has allowed researchers to discover how old Whale Sharks are and it is believed some live to around 150 years. This means that they have a fragile existence and are already on the endangered list and in South East Asia, where they are hunted for food, they have all but disappeared.
Yesterday, I did not know this.

doctor Bob":rblioel3 said:
Learnt from another forum.

No RAF jet has ever shot down an enemy aircraft.

That is intriguing ... presumably then the Argentinian planes shot down during the Falklands conflict were up against Royal Navy planes and pilots?

RogerBoyle":332pe3uf said:
novocaine":332pe3uf said:
Fact 2 (I may have already known this)
Cycling on a trainer in the kitchen is really (I mean REALLY) boring.

:D

Connect to Zwift ... Much better experience and its keeping me sane
I was going to suggest the same thing! Haute Route events Friday, Saturday and Sunday, recovery ride in New York yesterday, race around Harrogate tonight, Team Time Trial on Thursday and much much more! I'm on about 1200kms a month at the moment. It's brilliant!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

clanger":38udlqzv said:
doctor Bob":38udlqzv said:
Learnt from another forum. No RAF jet has ever shot down an enemy aircraft.

But the Royal Navy has - Sea Harriers against Skyhawks in the Falklands

Indeed, but the original statement is still correct.
By the way, RAF jets have shot down a few aircraft but only allies!!

also to respond to a previous post, I don't think a V1 is classed as an aircraft more a Rocket or weapon.

Germans made them with pilots seats for use by KG200 Leonidas. Pilot was meant to bailout (1% survivibility expected) just before hitting target or die in the plane. It is a plane it uses a pulse jet engine and not a rocket

I probably know many things today that I did not know yesterday. What is doubtful is how many of these things I will still know tomorrow.

Found out some people whose opinion I had respected are David Icke reading anti vaxxers. :shock:

Inspector":1cl1y26t said:
Eric The Viking":1cl1y26t said:
Chickens only lay eggs once every six months.

Today I had to unlearn everything I knew about chickens after living on two chicken farms and having friends in the industry. They lied to me telling me the bird lays an egg every 30 hours or so for a year before they replace them. I wonder how they stay in business housing and feeding the birds for just a few eggs a year?

Pete

In my defence, I was basing that information on the rate eggs have disappeared from supermarket shelves recently. It was obvious to me that there wouldn't be any more produced before the end of this crisis, so I got five trays worth. I was rather chuffed at my presence of mind, until it became apparent that five-egg omelettes are very constipating...

Well, presumably that's why people were panic-buying them -- it couldn't have merely been group idiocy, could it?

My grandparents kept chickens, my sister and several friends do, too, but I've discounted the idea that they lay frequently as pure propaganda from chicken-o-philes, based on what's obvious, before my very eyes, in Asda.

Oh, and apparently the trees for toilet paper have to be specially grown - with hollow centres. Apparently bamboo has been tried as a source, however it's too harsh on the nether regions.

And Giant Hogweed is right out, which is slightly mystifying as it grows fast and is very tubular...

E.

When you walk through a barn with 22,000 birds in it and see feed trucks come in every few days and the semi truck / trailers picking up chest high pallets of eggs every day you see a different side of it. That was 30 plus years ago and my friend and former landlord isn't producing eggs using that kind of operation now. He is using some kind of cageless barn organic method of producing the eggs. Many times more birds and it costs more to produce the eggs but he smiles because he can charge more. :wink:

Group idiocy runs rampant! (homer) #-o

Pete

Eric The Viking":2wgv0mgx said:
...........In my defence, I was basing that information on the rate eggs have disappeared from supermarket shelves recently. It was obvious to me that there wouldn't be any more produced before the end of this crisis,......

:) No, that was wrong too. Supermarkets are flush with eggs. more eggs than you can poke a stick at.

Back