Things I know today - that I didn't yesterday....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.... not to mention pasta - no doubt coming out of their ears by now! Anyone remember the "funny song" by Sophia Loren and Peter Sellars ("Bangers & Mash - Tortellini") from the 60s?

Fact 1
25 times up my stairs is 67.5m of ascent.
Snowdon is 1,085m of ascent.
I need to walk up my stairs 25 times for 16 days to reach the height of Snowdon.
It's day 3.
The descent doesn't count. :D

Fact 2 (I may have already known this)
Cycling on a trainer in the kitchen is really (I mean REALLY) boring.

Fact C
Not everything is related to COVID-19, but right now it certainly feels like it is. :D

I have just learned that it is Taco Tuesday. Never had one of those before, but I strongly recommend it. To make tacos, you have to make tortillas and then deep fry them - never done that before, either. Proper cholesterol timebomb. Have to thank kids with too much time on their hands, and an Americanised view of life thanks to YouTube.

Speaking of YouTube, this might be appropriate: [youtube]mFN8Wj37WYI[/youtube]

novocaine":1qigp38m said:
Fact 2 (I may have already known this)
Cycling on a trainer in the kitchen is really (I mean REALLY) boring.

:D

Connect to Zwift ... Much better experience and its keeping me sane

RogerS":3vikffep said:
1) Self-levelling compound doesn't

Anyone else care to contribute ? :D

It does if you mix it right, put it down using a spiked roller & most important set some fixed marks that indicate the desired finished floor level all round the room.

This floor was one of the worse for undulating that I’ve had to self level, it now has a free standing bath on it that had no adjustment so it had to be bang on, it can be done.

58DD1287-9393-4446-9F0B-15FB56937CCF.jpeg

Attachments

• 58DD1287-9393-4446-9F0B-15FB56937CCF.jpeg
    58DD1287-9393-4446-9F0B-15FB56937CCF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 541
Using RGT, because it's free right now. At the end of all this I shall put the turbo trainer back where it belongs, and where it's lived for the past 6 years (under the table saw where I can't reach it) and go back to riding outside.
I can manage maybe 40 minutes before I get to the point of being fed up, I'm the same with treadmills, they serve their purpose but I much prefer to be outside.

note that I'm not grumbling really, I'm happy I have the means to continue.

Trainee neophyte":1dd8x2gn said:
........To make tacos, you have to make tortillas and then deep fry them......

Spanish terminological confusion......

In Spain, a tortilla is what we call a Spanish omelette. That is, a big omelette with potatoes and vegetables, cooked in a pan, sometimes baked as well, and sometimes sprinkled with cheese and toasted under a grill last minute. The tortilla you are talking about is presumably an Americanised version of a Mexican dish, and a completely different animal from the Spanish tortilla.

Back to the OP, Roger, I share your pain. I have tried to level self levelling compound many times with varying degrees of failure.

It is only recently I have learnt of spiked rollers and have never used one.

I had one room done professionally by a plasterer, I had to finish it myself as he could not get the stuff level either.

I have tried a number of the techniques people recommend and none have worked.

novocaine":qd7o844m said:
Fact 1
25 times up my stairs is 67.5m of ascent.........

Yesterday, I didn't know that novocaine has 13 steps or 14 steps to his stairs, and doesn't live in a cottage (or a bungalow :lol: ). I know those things today.

Learnt from another forum.

No RAF jet has ever shot down an enemy aircraft.

doctor Bob":3myirrsb said:
Learnt from another forum.

No RAF jet has ever shot down an enemy aircraft.

Technically only true for manned aircraft. 616 Sqn flying Meteors shot down 14 V1 during WW2

Titan has rain, and is probably the only other place in the solar system that does.

Sorry, I didn't learn much yesterday and was watching space stuff on netflix!

Back