Thin Parting Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
The original thin parting tool which was marketed by Chris Stott was based on an industrial saw machine blade. This was then taken up and marketed(and still is) by Robert Sorby. I trained with Chris about 30 years ago and he was using it then. He also developed the miniature tools for turning hollow forms around the same time. This was the days of Craft Supplies when they were at the old water mill at Millers Dale in Derbyshire.
Regards,
Dave

I made a parting tool from an old keyhole saw blade. I haven't got around to putting a handle in it yet but it is good for smallish jobs

In another thread I mentioned using an old saw blade to make a riving knife for my table saw, and being a 'thrifty' old guy I thought I'd cut a bit of the tipped blade and make a parting tool.

I cut a long section of the 10" blade just below the center hole and then made a handle from some 1 1/2" x 1/8" flat steel and some scraps of wood, I did nothing more than drill and bolt with two 6mm bolts to hold the saw blade to the flat.
It works ok, but I have only tested it once on some really crappy wood. I think I will sharpen the tip with my diamond dust files and maybe reduce the angle ? It was an experiment, but it looks good at this stage. I'll take some pictures of it as well.

I use a ⅛" X ¼" parting tool from my miniture Crown set. It works a treat and don't forget that you are digging in to a curve and even with the little tool I use I still have to widen the slot slightly to stop any binding. I too have one of the knife type parting tools and have had it for years, but it wouldn't work for 'bowls from a plank'. It is very much too wide or if you did use it then the slot would be much wider than needed with a smaller tool.

I've put a couple more of my efforts on the bowls from a plank thread.

You could grind either side just short of the tip, and thin the tool out about 25-45mm.
This will ease the binding, as the tip is thicker than the blade now.

That's what's good about using an old tct saw blade, cut a chunk out across blade width, mount two knife scales, just dontmake the blade too wid, the tip is wider than blade then.

You could grind either side just short of the tip, and thin the tool out about 25-45mm.
This will ease the binding, as the tip is thicker than the blade now.
You could but fishtailing the tool or taking a cut & a half cut along side only takes a few seconds. In addition most new turners will probably not have the tools or the skill to thin the blade.

Back