Thin but deep mortise - advise needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":1ahzof86 said:
ArferMo":1ahzof86 said:
........Pegs are fine when used appropriately and their use, historically, goes beyond holding mating surfaces together while the glue dries - your original assertion.

You've misunderstood my original assertion, entirely. Pegs are not necessary in glued joints, and they may even weaken them. However, in unglued joints, or in glued joints which will become unglued because of the poor quality of the glue, they are obviously critical to the success or otherwise of the joint.
MikeG.":1ahzof86 said:
ArferMo":1ahzof86 said:
........ .. cross dowels to add strength......

I'm not sure this is so. In furniture making, dowels (pegs) functioned instead of clamps as the glued dried

Making a point against yourself there old mate.

I assert that a cross dowel adds strength to a joint. The fact that at failure the dowel or timber around it has failed, points to the dowel being the last bastion of strength holding the joint together before failure. Show me otherwise? Tell me why with modern synthetic glues dowels are still used in some instance in chair frame making. The dowel adds mechanical strength.

I have a very simple canoe rack by the side of my house. I bolted a pair of uprights to a concrete spurred wooden fence post each with a pair of simple through morticed supports at right angles to the upright. I glued and placed a pair 8mm dowels cross each joint. For some time they did the job admirably of supporting a pair of canoes, one beneath the other. Some while ago I noticed one arm drooping; the glue had failed. I suspect this is because children were standing on the arm and it overloaded. But the dowels still hold the joint together and it still does its job. Dowels add strength. They do not take strength away. Let's not leave unadulterated tosh that dowels weaken freely roaming the internet.

Helvetica":1vbvhytw said:
.......this is a sideboard door......

Then why on earth are you making the mortises so deep? They work perfectly well with 12mm deep mortises, and are bomb proof with 25 or 30mm deep joints.

ArferMo":qiy0ta72 said:
MikeG.":qiy0ta72 said:
........Pegs are fine when used appropriately and their use, historically, goes beyond holding mating surfaces together while the glue dries - your original assertion.

You've misunderstood my original assertion, entirely. Pegs are not necessary in glued joints, and they may even weaken them. However, in unglued joints, or in glued joints which will become unglued because of the poor quality of the glue, they are obviously critical to the success or otherwise of the joint.
MikeG.":qiy0ta72 said:
........ .. cross dowels to add strength......

I'm not sure this is so. In furniture making, dowels (pegs) functioned instead of clamps as the glued dried

Making a point against yourself there old mate..........

....patience, Mike.........

Read it again, carefully. One is an explanation of the other, and in no way is there any contradiction.

MikeG.":10rvhken said:
Helvetica":10rvhken said:
.......this is a sideboard door......

Then why on earth are you making the mortises so deep? They work perfectly well with 12mm deep mortises, and are bomb proof with 25 or 30mm deep joints.

Because of my unusual door design: topic121412.html
and let's calm ourselves with a nice cup of tea and stay on topic.

Back