Thien seperator bin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello fellas,

Here are a few pics of my Thien seperator bin which is working surprisingly well. :shock:

For members unfamiliar with this dust collection set-up the idea here is to use the seperator bin to increase sawdust collection capacity. The dustbin sits between the vacum, in this case a small camvac with two motors, and the machine. There is some loss of suction but not enough to prevent an effective collection of shavings. In theory this saves time from having to keep emptying the vacum.

Here is a picture of the workings under the lid

A simple set up with three peices of threaded rod holding a piece of ply tight against an elbow joint. Not all the ply touches the wall of the bin as part is cut away to create a gap for particules of sawdust to drop below.

Here is a test, an empty start

and after a batch of work on my PT

The bin is almost 80% full, whereas the vacum has about 20% of dust in the bottom.

It works! :) 8) :shock:

Hope this is useful, any questions give me a shout.

Here is a link to Phil Thien's website and further guidance http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Cheers, Tony.

Escudo":3jv7bq4m said:
Hello fellas,

Here are a few pics of my Thien seperator bin which is working surprisingly well. :shock:

For members unfamiliar with this dust collection set-up the idea here is to use the seperator bin to increase sawdust collection capacity. The dustbin sits between the vacum, in this case a small camvac with two motors, and the machine. There is some loss of suction but not enough to prevent an effective collection of shavings. In theory this saves time from having to keep emptying the vacum.

Here is a picture of the workings under the lid

A simple set up with three peices of threaded rod holding a piece of ply tight against an elbow joint. Not all the ply touches the wall of the bin as part is cut away to create a gap for particules of sawdust to drop below.

Here is a test, an empty start

and after a batch of work on my PT

The bin is almost 80% full, whereas the vacum has about 20% of dust in the bottom.

It works! :) 8) :shock:

Hope this is useful, any questions give me a shout.

Here is a link to Phil Thien's website and further guidance http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Cheers, Tony.

Thanks Tony, the separators are certainly worth having.

Cheers

Mike

Oddly enough I have just built one of these on friday and was about to post some pics, i used it loads today and ended up with much less in the extractor bag at the end... after totally filling the dustbin twice with planings and sawdust i had about a third of a cup of very fine dust in the final bag. Top piece of kit these separators and much easier to empty than the bag on my extractor.

Interesting, Tony. I've not seen many that can cope adequately with 4in hoses.

How do you know when the bin is full? Is it possible to insert a small viewing window near the top, to save having to remove the lid prematurely?

Thanks fellas,

Olly, I tend to check the bin when I notice it blocking on the top. I can see through the lid. Debris tends to collect behind the elbow. As it gets fuller I suppose there must be a chance that debris which has already fallen below the baffle will get sucked back up.

It doesn't always work so well, and I wonder if the type of chipping has a part to play in this. A bit like the leaves on the railway track :D

Tony.

Hi Tony, Phil recommends leaving a 3/4" gap under the elbow to help the swirl and to stop debris getting Jammed, i cant find the thread now but have done this on mine and all seems ok. Squib.

Interesting Tony, this one I've bookmarked...does the system work with a 4" hose and the bigger twin motor Camvac? - Rob

Sounds just what I need, but I'm not sure I understand the construction with the elbow etc. Could you possibly post a diagram?

Attachments

• IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,931
  • IMAG0090 (1).jpg
    IMAG0090 (1).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,931

Latest posts

Back