Thicknessing Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Having problems with a new sip planer/thicknesser, the workpiece travels through the machine in a series of jerks and stops before it has cleared the cutter bar. I think the problem is the outfeed roller as it doesn't seem to contact the timber properly but I can't see any way to adjust it. Don't really want to return the machine if I can help it. Am I missing something?

Welcome to the forum Alpen.
This doesn't seem right at all for a new machine. Sounds like back to the shop to me, but hopefully someone will be along soon with a better solution.

Hi Alpen,
A couple of things you might try.

1) Make sure the bed & rollers are absolutely clean. Use white spirit until the cloth has no sign of grease etc. Then apply a light wax polish to the bed and polish off. The bed should be slippery.

2) Ensure that you have planned one surface flat before puting it through the thicknesser. If the workpiece has any undulations, it will feed in fits and starts - jamming and then not moving.

HTH

John

Thanks for the suggestion, I did give the bed a spray of Glide surface lubricant initially, although I now notice that it contains silicone, is this a good thing? Anyway I'll give your suggestion a try and see what happens.

i would avoid the use of silicone in any lubricant for a woodshop.

How much material are you trying to take off in one pass?

Ops ! you really should avoid silicone - that contaminates the wood surface.

Did you plane your workpiece before putting it through the thicknesser?

John

I have now tried cleaning the bed and outfeed roller with white spirit and have then waxed the bed without any effect. Yes I have planed one side flat before thicknessing. Have now run out of options. Thanks for all the replies.

Alan

Like Nick M, I'd ask how much you're trying to take off in one pass and maybe also how rough the board actually is to start with.

I have a similar model and it doesn't like much more than a mm off in one go with hardwood if you want to give it an easy life.

Have you tried hand planing a piece of narrow softwood and then thicknessing it to see if the machine will cope with that? Then if that is ok you can maybe work up towards it's limitations and report back. Mine is a Record rather than SIp but I think they are all essentially the same so maybe we can compare performance for a similar task

I expect you all will be interested to hear that I have located and rectified the problem ( with I must add the help of my engineer son).
Basically the problem was as I at first suspected the height of the feed rollers, particulaly the out feed roller. Both rollers were not making proper contact with the timber which resulted in the feed problems I spoke of.
Both rollers were lowered with the result that now everything feeds correctly!
I now have a fully functioning machine which planes and thicknesses extremely well. However it does pose a very big question mark on the quality? control of this make, although the end result is a very good machine for the price.
Thanks for all the contributions to this topic. from a very relieved user.

Great news that you fixed it but am suprised at extent of the "fettling" you had to undertake. It does question the quality control of SIP - like most importers, they probably ship the boxes unchecked as delivered from China.
John

am suprised at extent of the "fettling" you had to undertake. I

I'm not. You pay what you get.

Back