Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich.ca

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a thicknesser for an upcoming job I've got. I know these two don't generaly go together, but I'm looking for a cheap but half decent one. I'd like a decent one but can't justify £300+ price tag for a tool I'll only use once every blue moon.

Some quick Googling brings up cheap ebay and Clarke thicknessers, but any recomendations welcome.

A second hand PT would probably be a better deal in the long run for reliability and resale value after a few years.
But if you don't wish to mess around and just want an "out the box" cheapie then Clarke's as good as any,
If you haven't seen this, Here's a link to the Triton version which looks to be similar,
Regards Rodders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn2V5O3PVo

is it just a thicknesser that you want? Although noisy, I have no complaints about the quality of job on my axminster lunchbox thicknesser. I don't know if you get those in Canada, but I expect that they are all quite similar. They crop up from time to time at reasonable money, although if you buy secondhand and need to replace the disposable blades, they may be £40 of your budget.

I've been looking out for a sencond hand one, and if the price is right then I will buy one. It doesn't need to be too big, the widest I would probably ever go is 6", but it will get more shelf time than usage. I'll look into the Axminster and Triton

Rich.ca":3uojkjq5 said:
...........I'll look into the Axminster and Triton
... and hearing protection for family an neighbours within quarter-of-a-mile. :)

Are they that bad? Is it the motor or the quality of the blades making the noise? How do they compare against the Dewalt/Makita versions?

i have the cheap woodster

it works ok
but not for long periods as your ears start to bleed from the noise
Steve

Rich.ca":3ws3mqao said:
Are they that bad? Is it the motor or the quality of the blades making the noise? How do they compare against the Dewalt/Makita versions?
I can't help with comparisons with other similar machines but I can say that the more expensive induction motored 260 ones are a lot quieter than their brush motored smaller brethren.

Having said that I guess some folk are more sensitive to noise than others. Maybe I'm extra sensitive.

I've got the Axminster branded 8" benchtop thicknesser that looks very similar to the Woodstar, Titan models etc.
It actually works pretty well, but is very loud so I've now replaced it for a quieter Makita.

Rich.ca, if you are interested in collecting it from the York area (YO61) you can have it for free. PM me if you're interested.

Jon Wallace

RogerP":2mht1z8g said:
I can't help with comparisons with other similar machines but I can say that the more expensive induction motored 260 ones are a lot quieter than their brush motored smaller brethren.

I was really impressed at how quiet the Metabo whatever260something was when it was running, having previously used a smaller SIP brush-motored thing.

Of course, once the extractor is running and you're actually cutting things, it still sounds like an aircraft engine in a tumble drier. Just, you know, a smaller aircraft engine. I can hear the music in my ear defenders now!

Back