Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really need more details of the machine. A quick search of the model number gives no information so the only way to find out is to contact the company and ask them. A quick look at the other tools they are selling shows mainly unknown or very cheap/low quality makes so I would recommend a great deal of caution before buying.

On the other hand it looks very similar to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axminster-CT3 ... 0534035925 (apart from the colour), so it may be OK - it might be worth phoning Axminster to ask about their offering to get info on spares/reliability.

Misterfish

Also look at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-F22-561-1 ... 0561367777

They're all made from the same Chinese mix 'n match parts but some sellers take more care than others with the build and selection also motor sizes differ.

You might like to read this seller's negative feedback before proceeding.

The biggest downside with all these 'benchtop' thicknessers is that, regardless of the brand or colour you go for, they're very noisy compared to most other machines. The sound of the machine running (without cutting, not under load) is akin to a cheap vacuum cleaner. Obviously, it'll make a racket anyway once it starts cutting wood but, if you had the money, the space and could find the right machine, I would certainly consider going for a floor-standing model with an induction motor (unfortunately, there aren't many options in the UK market, unless you have at least £800 to spend on a new machine!).

You've already had some great advice, though. It's often worth paying a little more if only for the after sales service and spare parts.

I've had the Axminster one linked to above for a few years, as Olly has pointed out, yes it can be noisy especially when your putting hardwood through but if you can live with that it's a great little machine.

Steve

Back