thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good question. We need some kind of context before a useful answer can be given. How important is the low price? What kind of work do you want it to do, how much and how often?
John

Just wondered if anyone had got one and what they thought. I'm just starting out so I'm not spending lots of money on quality tools till I know that I'm going to carry on.

mark... I hear what you're saying re trying to keep costs down, but trust me... it's a false ecomomy.. buy cheap ye pay dear... yea...?

lookin at your link... I'd say that machine has a bunch of stuff I'd consider essential, missing...

the crank for height adjustment looks real frail... doesn't seem to have any cutter head locks, infeed / outfeed support looks as if it's been overlooked which means you'll have a hellova time planing a flat surface. The motor "feels" under powered too; with that width of cutter head, a full width board is going to tax the motor even with a light cut.

Best bet is to save for this kinda machinery; the consequences of getting the wrong machine could be some costly losses when you're prepping stock..

Mark
I would be a little weary of this one - but if you could get one from somewhere that would take it back if you thought it was useful you could always give it a try. Likely to be more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.
If you're willing to add a little and go for a machine with Axminster's backing, you might want to look at the Perform machine:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CC10T
Not that much more at £190 and Axminster offer a good service. If you were to give them a ring before hand they would give you honest advice about the machine. You can even download the manual from their website.
Have fun choosing,
Cheers
Gidon

Coopes,
I made the mistake of buying one of these from B+Q. Got it home, out of the box and started to put some 1 1/4 inch Ash through it. All goes well until bang! Some bits of metal go flying past my leg-not pleasant! :evil: Upon investigating I found that part of the blade retaining clamp had destroyed itself and flown off. The ash was clear of any nails etc, I checked. Now, if the machine fails like this after 30 minutes work, especially something as vital as the blade holder, it should not be on sale. Yes, it is a very cheap price BUT it is a very cheap machine. 10 inch metal blades spinning at something like 9000 rpm are not something you want doubts about how secure they are!
I took the thing straight back to B+Q, complained, and coughed up for the Dewalt 733. A decision I have never regretted! :wink:
So, IMHO, please stay clear of this machine. It is of very low quality and should not be on sale. The Dewalt, whilst double the price, is a vastly superior machine that performs impecably. There are also many other thicknessers, like Axminsters own, Rexon, Delta and others that you are better off looking at.
Stay Safe,
Philly :D

Hi Mark,

As the others say I would stay well clear off it. I'm afraid in the woodworking world buying cheap machines nearly always costs you more in the long run.

A thicknesser is a tool that once you have you'll use for every project so it's worth buying the best you can afford. Two of the most accurate/well made machines are the Dewalt 733 and the APTC CT330. I reviewed the CT330 last year you can find it here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/review/review.php?id=29. I just ordered one for my new workshop lastnight :)

Saw this and the equivalent bench top planer at Yandles.
Didn't get a chance to touch the thicknesser, but if the planer is anything to go by, don't bother.
I picked it up and it felt reasonably OK, but later on I went to Axminster and looked at their Perform planer which although it looks the same in pictures, is much heavier and better built, albeit more expensive.

Charley":31j3nli2 said:
I just ordered one for my new workshop lastnight :)
<Choke, cough, splutter>

Sorry, just the effects of the cloud of dust raised by that well executed drive-by gloat... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back