Thicknesser vertical gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting one of the vertical digital gauges. Not that I want to thickness down to fractions of a millimiter...just that I kept getting caught out and finding that i had to run an extra bit of stock through...which meant that I needed to check all the others etc.

This way, I can go back to a known setting spot-on.

Mounting was a doddle...just the existing holes on the thicknesser carriage, a small spacer and a plate cut from a duff CD. A couple of tapped holes in the main frame held the body of the vertical gauge.

thicknesser-guage.jpg

Roger

Nice job Roger. This was the thing you mentioned in a previous thread? Anyway, where and how much? I've a 560 too.

Noel

Roger
I also have the 560 and my first thought was, "I need one of those too".
But where does it end. What happened to good old days when the measurement was 3/4 + one more little mark and on the fat side. :D
I can not afford a cnc machine and it looks like that is the direction we are headed. :evil:
Where is fun left in the project, altho your guage sure looks good on the 560. :D

Travis

O.k. so its just a gauge and you've added to your planer-its not a factory add-on?? Is this right? It certainly looks handy!
Philly :D

Philly

No - it's a 'Rogermod'

Travis - I agree with you and the trick is that I don't really bother with setting it to a specific measurement but use the zero position. When I'm thicknessing stock I tend to pass through one piece and thickness it down to whatever I need. That's my reference. I then zero the gauge.

Then when I thickness the rest of the stock down it becomes a no-brainer.

If I need to run an additional piece through later on then I know that it will be the same thickness

Roger

Roger,
That is a nice modificationI have thought of doing something similar on my Scheppach P/T but the apparent difficulty of fixing the gauge put me off. I shall now add it to the pile of stuff awaiting tuits

Nice one Roger, I have also looked at doing this but bulked at the cost of those units, I have settled for a cut down vernier as and when I find a cheap digital one.

Bean

Looks like a tidy piece of kit that.

Out of interest, where did you get the thicknesser? Did you get it in the UK or ship it over from the US?

dddd - I think I bought it from DM Tools IIRC. Can't really remember. I just did a search on Kelkoo or Google at the time.

mcluma...there's also a direct link to the suppliers earlier on in the thread

Roger

Yeah I did see that, but that thing is about Gbp40, I found a couple on the German Ebay for less then a tenner. and as i use the planer once a month or so, I wouldn't like to spend to much money on it :wink: .

otherwise she from indoors will start to aks for compensation in the house.

McLuma

Latest posts

Back