Thicknesser thoughts, please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks
I tried the following question in "Members' Planers and Thicknessers" as it seemed a reasonable place to ask the question. Bit of a dull thud though except for Waka. So let's have another go here (thanks Alf).

I am in the market for a new thicknesser. I have decided to go for either an Axminster CT330 or a DeWalt 733.
As these appear to be the most popular choice of forum members can you please tell me what features you like or dislike about your particular version of these models. They are roughly the same price and specification so please tell me the worst, or best as you see it!
Cheers.

SF

SF
I cannot comment on these two thicknessers as I do not have either But I do have a clone of the CT330, sold by Charnwood. It is quite powerful and leaves a good finish even though I take 2.5 to 3mm cuts on oak. the only problem I have had is with the thermal cutout which I have now bypassed. this may be a faulty cutout as opposed to the thicknesser.
Overall i am happy with it and have not regretted the purchase. It was also cheaper than the axminster version.

Bean

SRS I made mine a little heavier by modding the chip cowl. I enclosed the bottom and added a 100 dia port to the rear of it. It now collects 95% of all chips

They are heavy beasts though :shock:

Bean

I cannot make any comment on the machines that you are looking at, as I have a planer/thicknesser.
I would suggest that you should have a good pair of ear defenders. The machines will be quite loud and when machining hardwood the sound levels go up, please don't use one without ear defenders.
I would also recommend you get a chip/dust collector as the amount of waste produced is large and in some machines has a tendency to drop into the drive rollers marking the timber.

I know yet more expense but then what good is having money anyway. :whistle:

I've got the extraction, Dave. It's just that I thought it would be interesting to hear how people get on with these two models. You are so right about ear defenders, though.
Somebody must have a comment on the DeWalt.........no?
Cheers.

SF

I have the DeWally 733. Not too happy with it.
I've had problems with the infeed/outfeed from the off and consequently always get quite a bit of snipe. I've now rigged up a separate outfeed support that helps a lot.

The 733 is really quite noisy. It is however quite a good speed, blade changing is a breeze, which is a real plus for these machines, and it is very accurate. Dust extraction is excellent.

I think the Delta is around the same price and is supposedly rather good!

Aragorn

Aragorn
Funny, I've just been looking at the Delta. As far as I can see the difference there is that the table extensions are a bit shorter.
Could be worth a better look though. Have you heard some good things about it , then?
Thanks for the idea.

SF

SF, I've had the Delta for a few years now. Great machine, blades seem to last ages, easy to change. Extraction is excellent although I'd prefer the 100mm chip shroud to exit to the side like the DW 733. Carriage lock works well, if not too greedy with the cut, never any snipe. It's as loud as any other bench top planer. Will take up to 13" boards and leave a very good finish. It's an old design and has been replaced in the States by the 2 speed model (as has been the DW 733, now 734 and 735, both 3 cutter heads) Only other planner I'm familiar with is the Makita, marginally more quiet and has a few extras on it like depth gauge and auto lock but only has a 3" extractor port. Otherwise a great machine. Another member (Neil) has the Makita and no doubt can tell you more.

Noel

Hi SF

I've got the Makita 2012NB and it is excellent. Similar price to the DW.

The finish is superb without even a hint of snipe. It won lots of awards in the US for quality of finish.

My shortlist was the DW and the Makita. For me, I'd make the same choice again.

Cheers
Neil

I have the DW733-a great piece of kit. What would I do without it?
A brilliant finish (with sharp blades), snipe not a problem, knife change relatively painless. Best on test in a lot of magazine tests.
Having a seperate jointer and thicknesser means no messing about swapping over functions-it's always ready to go.
Guess you can tell I like my DW-after nearly 3 years its never ever failed me.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I have just bought the Jet JWP-12 from axminster for £199. They had to send me two as the first was broken. (they still havent collected the first).

I am very impressed with it. I was splashing out on a planer and a thicknesser, so I couldn't afford to spend a fortune. I have so far put matured oak and mahogany through it. It left a glass smooth finish, and no snipe that I could measure.

I would highly recommend it.

Not had any problems with my Delta. Stopped using the metal stand and made a wheeled box for it to stand on instead. The stand takes up loads of space and is heavy. Table set-up is key to good function as with any of these. They are all pretty noisy in my view.

Whats all this about by-passing the thermal cut out when taking a 3mm cut in hardwood? Sounds like the cut out was just doing its job!

Sam

Sam faulty cut out I'm afaideven 0.5 mm in hardwood produces the same effect. An added advantage is that I can now boil a kettle at the same time as thicknessing

Bean

OK point taken, sounds like the device trips early. Must be plenty of power if you can plane 3mm - the Delta would stall. Cant be anything wrong with the fields in the motor so cut-out is probably to blame as you say.

Sam the Charnwood has loads of power, from the box the tables needed setting up to remove snipe and it was away. the knives seem to last but the chip collection was non existant, so I modded the cowel so it is simular to the Axminster version.

I do have the intention to replace the cutout (dont worry Tony) as it does get hot when I am removing stock.

Bean

Hi folks
Thanks for your replies. I have a shortlist of the DeWalt, the Axminster and now the Delta. Has no-one got anything to say about the Axminster, by the way? I did look at the Makita too. Nothing is ruled out yet, Neil!
Most people seem to be happy with what they have got. Aragorn seems to have a bit of a rogue but I suppose all machinery has its quirks.

They all make a lot of noise while they do their thing but they are not exactly enclosed sort of machines are they? Philly is right when he says the DeWalt seems to fair well in tests but I just like to do comparisons.
Please keep your comments coming.

Cheers.

SF

HI,

I can vouch for the DW 733, Cutterhead locks solidly, easy knife change, good finish, good dust extraction. Yes, very noisy but which brush motored thicknesser isn't?

cheers,
jon.

Back