Thicknesser (SOLD) and Planer (SOLD)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter T

Established Member
Reaction score
For reasons I won't bore you with, I have decided to change from a separate planer and thicknesser to a combined Axminster P/T.

So, my trusty machines are for sale -

DW733 -

DW73301.jpg

DW73302.jpg

It's a few years old but it's only had hobby use. It has all the tools, magnetic knife setting jigs, extract hood etc. plus a spare set of knives which need sharpening. New knives were fitted a few weeks ago. Extract hose is not included.

SIP 6 inch Planer -

SIP01.jpg

SIP02.jpg

Again, it's a few years old but has only hobby use. It's also been extensively modified around the fence mounting. The fence is now fixed in the 90 degree position, but at least it's accurate and does not move. New knives were fitted Monday this week and it comes with the old ones, that need sharpening, and the 2 push blocks.

As to pricing, I'd like to get £200 for the DW733 and £30 for the SIP. If anyone wants them both, I'm sure we can work out a job lot price.

Buyer collects please, although, If you're close to Rugby I may be persuaded to deliver.

Thanks for looking,

If anyone is interested, In the dim and distance past I had one of the clones of the SIP machine (Ryobi), which also had a cast iron tables, fence, and twin re-sharpenable blades.
It was an excellent little machine, who's only real downside was the length of it's tables, but if you built a plywood/MDF or Timber out feed table you would vastly improve this.

If you are short of cash, room, or both, at £30 you would not be wasting your money.

As for the Dewalt, I have never used one, but on this forum anyway it has a good name.

Just my two pennyworth :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":wrgis5xb said:
If anyone is interested, In the dim and distance past I had one of the clones of the SIP machine (Ryobi), which also had a cast iron tables, fence, and twin re-sharpenable blades.
It was an excellent little machine, who's only real downside was the length of it's tables, but if you built a plywood/MDF or Timber out feed table you would vastly improve this.

If you are short of cash, room, or both, at £30 you would not be wasting your money.

As for the Dewalt, I have never used one, but on this forum anyway it has a good name.

Just my two pennyworth :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for that Mike.

The SIP is not a bad little planer once it's fettled.

The fence mechanism was complete pants and I threw it away, fixed it at 90 degrees and shimmed it true.

The first time I changed the knives was also "interesting". The original fixing screws were made of some metal that had mechanical properties somewhere between putty and cottage cheese! The simple act of inserting an allen key into the socket was enough to convert it from a hexagon to a circle. I ended up having to take an oversize key and slowly grind it down until I could hammer it into the socket and get the wretched crappy screws out.

Since then I've replaced them with decent cap heads and all is well.

Peter,
it's a pity you are so far away from me. The set up you are selling is just the combination I have been thinking about getting for my single garage/workshop. Care to share your reasons for changing?

George_N":1b1ykktm said:
Peter,
it's a pity you are so far away from me. The set up you are selling is just the combination I have been thinking about getting for my single garage/workshop. Care to share your reasons for changing?

This is probably going to sound stupid, but the main reason for changing to a bigger P/T is noise.

My workshop shares a single garage with my wife's car so everything has to be mobile. The separate planer and thicknesser was an ideal solution as they could both be stored away. But the problem with these small machines is the noise they make; they tend to scream rather than hum like the bigger machines.

Where I live is a typical housing estate and even though we are detached, we're not that far from the neighbors. In the past I've never had a problem but recently there have been comments about noise and I don't want to be a bad neighbor.

As for the machines themselves, he DW is very good and I would recommend it to anyone. As new, the SIP needs work to get it up to an acceptable standard, but it's cheap and, once fettled, does a good job.

Peter T":1zqedodx said:
George_N":1zqedodx said:
Peter,

This is probably going to sound stupid, but the main reason for changing to a bigger P/T is noise.

My workshop shares a single garage with my wife's car so everything has to be mobile. The separate planer and thicknesser was an ideal solution as they could both be stored away. But the problem with these small machines is the noise they make; they tend to scream rather than hum like the bigger machines.

Where I live is a typical housing estate and even though we are detached, we're not that far from the neighbors. In the past I've never had a problem but recently there have been comments about noise and I don't want to be a bad neighbor.

As for the machines themselves, he DW is very good and I would recommend it to anyone. As new, the SIP needs work to get it up to an acceptable standard, but it's cheap and, once fettled, does a good job.

Thanks Peter, for both your opinions of the machines and about how noisy they are. I too live in a fairly typical residential area, so the noise is something to bear in mind. Having said that, I am getting so little workshop time at the moment that the neighbours would have very little to complain about.

I know what you mean George. My machines sometimes sit for months without making a sound!

For the last few weeks though I've been building us a new kitchen so evenings and weekends have resounded to sound of me jointing and thicknessing maple for doors and edge banding.

That should be coming to an end fairly soon as the last of the doors get built and peace can return to our corner of Warwickshire :D

Cheers,

Back