Thicknesser Single Phase Motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adest1

Reaction score
Hi All. Next question relating to my thicknesser restoration is about replacing the motor. The machine came with a 3 phase motor that has seen better days. I intend on using the machine at home, so am looking for a single phase replacement.

The following image shows the specs of the current motor (2hp 1425rpm). So I am presuming a new 2hp, 1500rpm, 4 pole motor would serve as a suitable replacement? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which brand motor i should go with?... i am looking to spend between £100-£200. I am also expecting that i'll need to get new pulleys made, so aren't too worried if the shaft diameter doesn't match the current motor.

IMG_0430.jpg

Finally, can someone explain what is meant by Cap Start/ Cap Run? Is this the type of motor i would need?

Thanks, Tim

Depends how your pulleys are fitted to the shaft. If they use taperlocks then it should be a lot easier than say keyed onto shaft. Also maybe whilst you are at it use a slightly larger motor. As it is not going to run 24/7 or be used in an industrial enviroment you don't need a top branded motor like Brooke-crompton unless cash is not an issue.

Look at these https://www.electrotechdrives.co.uk/product/singlephaseelectric-motor-2-2kw-3hp-1400rpm/

Have a look at Machine Mart. I was looking for a similar motor and thought their prices were reasonable, but no idea about how good they are.

Hi. The existing pulleys fix to the shaft via grub screws. Hence why i was anticipating needing to get new pulleys made, as a lot of the modern motors I see appear to use keyed shafts. Can you clarify what you mean by maybe using a larger motor... would you suggest a 3hp motor?

I had looked at Machine Mart, but wasn't sure about the quality. I appreciate a top branded motor may be overkill, so any suggestions on what might be a good compromise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

Back